Franko's Whatever Works

Franko

Active User
Registered
Last September I began the project of converting the carport shed on the side of my detached garage. The construction was complete by the middle of December. I made insulated walls and a place for a window AC. It has a small space heater that keeps it as toasty as I want. I insulated the open rafters with blocks of Styrofoam. The roof is just corrugated steel. I plan to remake it this spring and add decking.

The garage has never housed a car. Presently it is a wood shop.

Here is an overview shot from the front door.

metal shop 230.JPG

nice tidy shop you got there Franco.
i am also setting up a machine shop space and am restoring an atlas mill and repairing a grizzly milling machine with a fried board.
Dan

Nice use of space, looks like you have everything right where you need it. MIke

Thanks, Oldboy and Fomogo. I picked up those tool cases a few years ago when they were on sale. It is nice to have uncrowded tool drawers.

My drawers are not as neat as Fomogo's but I've never settled into having all my tools. They keep accumulating.

This is my Grizzly 9x19 G-4000 lathe on a tool chest base. All my lathe tools and most of the mill tools are in this case.

g4000.JPG

Last edited:
Nice space and well tooled. Looks like a great get away spot.

Parts storage is important when you have a lot of them. I picked up these old computer card file cabinets from a used office supply about 20 years ago for a song (about $20 each). They are incredibly strong and heavy duty storage drawers. I removed all the card holders and used plywood to close the bottoms. I made the top bins after I finished the new shop for holding material so I can see what I have. Shelf brackets on the garage wall hold long stock.

parts storage_0347.JPG

Nice space and well tooled. Looks like a great get away spot.

It is where I'm happiest, Pineyfolks. I had an extra high back leather rocking desk chair so I put it in there. I have a sore back, so I need to sit down every 30 minutes or so to rest it. It is also a great place to listen to music and smoke my evening cigar in the winter. I put in a seriously good stereo system. It is a Kenwood car radio driving two M-Audio bi-amped studio monitors and a sub-woofer. It is a good radio, plays CDs and has has a USB input for iPhone or memory sticks and an aux input for the tv sound.

radio tv_0354.JPG

This is my 2x48 belt grinder. It's made by Trick Tools to mount on a bench grinder but the belt was horizontal on the grinder and it was way too aggressive for my needs. I made a new stand so I could run it more vertically and with a stepped pulley to slow it way down.

The motor is mounted on a bar with bearing slides for easy belt changing and automatic tension by the weight of the motor.The linked belt makes it run smoother.

I shortened the platen so I would have more unsupported belt. I can hold parts over the unsupported belt and with a gloved finger push the belt into the piece for very controlled de-scratching and smoothing.

I've since added a work lamp that plugs into the empty socket.

belt grinder 081.jpg

belt grinder 078.jpg

Last edited:
Back