Found this on Craigslist. Can anyone tell me about it?

QC box for sure. With the taper attach and tooling, this looks like a STEAL to me.

Can't tell for sure but but the apron looks like a 6300 tool room lathe. It looks like a good buy if you don't need more than 24" between center? The motor vari-drive setup on these can be problematic, but you can use a 3ph and VFD if it is shot. Take cash, you may get a better deal.
CH

Looks like this one 6300 12 3/4"X24"

CH

Clausing 6300.jpg

Last edited:
OK you have convinced me to go for it. It's been on for 18 hours so I'm doubtful it's still available.

Says it has a 220v single phase motor on it. I have no problem converting it to 3 phase and using a VFD on it.

I will let you know if he gets back to me.

Road trip :)

He just called. Said both my emails went to spam. Thankfully he checked there.

He says it's in good shape and is under power. Has a 2 1/2 HP motor on it. Everything works, I asked about the speed changer and said it was good. Has some paint coming off but I'm not worried about that, I'll go through it top to bottom and put a DRO on it. Said his friend owned the since 1970. He picked it up this summer from him.

Been thinking about the 24" length and I'd say about 99% of what I'll do will fit, and the other parts I can use a 16" x 60" I have access to. I'm glad it's a 13".I have a lot of 3/4" tool holders I want to use. So I'll pick up a QC tool post for it.

Now I've got to swing by my bank and get some cash add rent a small trailer after work today.

OK here is an update.

I asked about the vari speed drive and he just emailed telling me it has a 4 place pulley set up on it and no vari speed.

Did these come with vari speed or a pulley setup?

I can put a 3 phase on it and a VFD, but the deal isn't as good with the added expense.

OK here is an update.

I asked about the vari speed drive and he just emailed telling me it has a 4 place pulley set up on it and no vari speed.

Did these come with vari speed or a pulley setup?

I can put a 3 phase on it and a VFD, but the deal isn't as good with the added expense.

Although I now have a Clausing with a variable speed drive, for about 30 years I had a Clausing with a step pulley drive. It's nice to have variable speed for convenience, but it isn't a deal breaker. Step pulley machines are quieter than variable drives. In fact, I wouldn't spend the money to convert it to 3 phase and put a VFD on it like you were suggesting. The limitation for that machine will be a relatively small through hole in the spindle and the 24" length. I also had a 24" lathe and it didn't keep me from doing anything that I can remember, although give my preference, I'd choose a 36" one just in case. I sold my (older than that one) 4 step pulley Clausing with a taper attachment and a similar amount of tooling for $1500 last year and felt I had given the buyer a pretty decent price. Unless you've got used lathes coming out your ears where you live, you better jump on that. Gas prices are down and the economy shows signs of improving. My prediction is that there are going to be more guys who finally have the money for machines in the coming year, prices will rise and there is going to be more competition for the machines that are around. Like I said, unless you've got better machines than that showing up regularly on your craigslist, buy it. That one is selling at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of buying a new one from Grizzly. At that price you shouldn't have any difficulty getting your money back out of it.

No I don't have lathes coming out my ears at all here. I've almost gotten a couple. Had a deal for another Clausing but he sold it out from under me when we had a firm deal made.
But that's Craigslist for you.

I'm hoping I can at least get a 1" bar through the spindle. I have one part I make a lot of using that size.

I talked to the seller again and I'm leaving at 6 tomorrow morning. I should be there around noon or so. He said he can load it for me.

I really don't plan on selling it, but you never know what will come up for sale later. Something better always seems to come up just after I buy it.

If you can would you let me know what size the spindle bore is on your lathe?

Thanks

Back