Foredom Flex Shafts: Do You Use? Which Do You Use?

I'm going to avoid Harbor Freight because I'm concerned about even minor quality issues, though I appreciate the info. As for the Dremel Flex Shaft, I've had it burn out when almost completely straight - my work is just too much for the machine. I do appreciate your answers so far folks, and I'll let you all know what I learn when I go to Foredom!

I have a Wecheer rotary tool and I am quite happy with it.
It costs quite a bit less than the Foredom, and has slightly less power. It has a good foot controller that is well matched to the tool, you intuitively give it the right amount of extra peddle when making a heavier cut.
It comes with 1/8" and 1/4" collets that do not slip, cuts fiberglass and wood with ease, does not torque steer around, and does not get too hot to hold.
It is worth considering if you are not going to be using it day in and day out.

-Josh

Mr. Haines---I prefer the air die grinders totally because they are less expensive--more powerful---do not heat up--and the 56k rpm is good for using the diamond stones and points for carbide and glass work---you can get the small angle air grinder that can use the 1/4" shafts-----I also use dental air tools ----also there is an air pencil by CP that you can get reciprocating heads for---they are very nice for glass etching but a little more expensive-----well---- getting back to my flex shafts that I have used that are electric --some are larger and fit the shafts on regular 1/4 to 3/4 hp motors--some have a three jaw chuck and some have arbors for mounting grinding stones up to 6"---if any of the older machinists or younger good scroungers know what a Kirby butler kit is----then you will know what I have used for 40 years ---I modified the end of cable to use the round drive belts to use a 1/4 hp motor for the power---I didn't use the Kirby for the power---the old 1/4 hp 1725 motor was much quieter and my pulleys got the speed I wanted----Dave

Iv got a foredom at my work 20+ years old and still works fine I replaced the cable once and maybe the bearings in the hand piece. It was getting too hot to hold but new parts fixed that

I've been looking for information on Foredom's this week myself. I'd like to have one with two handpieces for 1/8" and 1/4" collets.

Holescreek, you only need one hand piece. You just change out the collet. The flex shaft I use is the Wecheer out of Canada. A lot less expensive than the Foredom. The hand pieces are interchangeable. You can also get a hand piece with a drill chuck. The Wecheer is sold as a wood carving flex cable tool. But it works just as well in metal working.

I picked up a Foredom on a local deal a few years back and it has been utterly indispensable for me since I don't really have any other machine tools. It's the 1/3 HP model with a 3ft flex shaft, and it's basically powerful enough to use as a die grinder when loaded with carbide burrs (Dremel's are the most available; the only remaining portion of that brand worth mentioning any more). The long and the short is the machine will do what you expected a Dremel to do when you first bought one. You can lean into it as hard as a human hand can comfortably hold something and not stall it, and the bearings in the hand unit are solid enough & the drive train massive enough that chatter is typically not an issue unless climb cutting. Also, the RPMs are low enough that heat build up is reduced & tool life is massively extended over a Dremel (also due in large part to reduced chatter). Foot pedal control is always a good thing in power tools.

The only downside is they are so expensive you won't be tempted to throw it across the room if you get really frustrated by what you are working on, unlike a Dremel (but the situation is rarer since there is no Dremel causing constant frustration ;)). Also, the whole flex shaft concept makes some jobs very awkward or impossible, unlike a unit with a truly flexible tether or wireless.

TCB

Holescreek, you only need one hand piece. You just change out the collet. The flex shaft I use is the Wecheer out of Canada. A lot less expensive than the Foredom. The hand pieces are interchangeable. You can also get a hand piece with a drill chuck. The Wecheer is sold as a wood carving flex cable tool. But it works just as well in metal working.

I looked them up when I saw your post but since they were listed for wood working wasn't sure if they had the torque to run burrs in metal (mostly aluminum). I want more than one hand piece specifically so I don't have to stop and change collets. I have a lot of plated diamond and borazon wheels in 1/8" and 1/4" that I'd like to be able to use. I know Foredom makes quick change hand piece not sure how long it'd take to swap them out on the Wecheer. If it took the same amount of time to change the collet it'd be silly to buy anther handset.

Mr Haines---there have been a lot of good responses on different flex shafts--the flex shafts and motors powering them are just like all our other machines--each are made for power or speed---some are more flexible and each may work good for however they are used---each have their limits and those limits are also determined by the user and maintenance, and the tool you want to use-----cost is also involved-----I have at least 10 flex shafts and would not be able to use each of them for all similar jobs---sometimes a flex shaft works perfect for a project and sometimes an air tool is needed---the choice will be yours to make---that's why we each have different brands and sizes of tools--- and many many of them---Dave

I know Foredom makes quick change hand piece not sure how long it'd take to swap them out on the Wecheer. If it took the same amount of time to change the collet it'd be silly to buy anther handset.

Defiantly get several hand pieces. They are much quicker to change out than changing collets.

Back