Foredom Flex Shafts: Do You Use? Which Do You Use?

Mr.Haines

Registered
Registered
As the title might lead you to believe, I am interested in a Foredom Flex Shaft for my shop. I'm going to be using it to cutting, shaping, and polishing steel and brass. The tool will also be used for engraving glass. It isn't a question of whether or not to get this, I hate my Dremel because it is too weak and the quality is nonexistent. I need a tool with all of the same capabilities, as well as better flexibility and durability. Foredom's tools are already budgeted for, the money is waiting to spend. I can even get two of the things if necessary.

Sometime this week I will take a trip over to their headquarters to try out the tools, the company is only about 45 minutes away. Still, if any of you guys are using these tools you probably have more experience in my intended field than the folks at Foredom. So, any suggestions as to which to get? I'd also like to hear your thoughts on handpieces and all that.

Thanks for helping again, you guys are great!
Mr. Haines

I've had one for 20 years. I've replaced the flex shaft once and the drive cable twice. Very high quality unit in my opinion. I bought the heavy duty hand pieces and have never had any trouble with them. I have a 90 degree hand piece and have pretty much worn it out. it was from C C specialties... built by them. It is the 1mc on their web page.
Loved the foot control.
My unit was purchased from CC specialties and is supposedly wound different for more low speed power. I've never used one straight from fordom so I don't know how much different (if any) it would be. I see they now have a reversing switch. Mine did not have that. If I had a left hand cutter it was just installed sticking out the backside of the 90 degree head. No way to use a left had cutter with a straight hand piece on my machine.

Bought a dremel flex shaft set up once. It lasted about 2 minutes using it for what I was doing with the fordom. The flex housing melted.

The melting! I hate that, it's happened twice. You can't really get any decent flex out of it! The Foredom will be a HUGE step up. I was thinking I'd by the faster of their two standard models, it's 1/3 HP instead of 1/6. I also planned on getting the LX, which is high torque, low speed. Sounds like your rewound Foredom was modified to be like that, am I right?

I have a Foredom and it’s hanging from a rafter in my shop. When I need it I just pull it down. When I’m done, it goes back up and out of the way. The foot control is on the floor and is switched off when not in use…Good Luck, Dave.foredom.JPG

I have the #30 and 44T hand pieces and they work really well for the general stuff I do in my shop. The 44 allows you to use up to a 1/4" shank tool held in a collet, which is handy for high speed burr use. I agree with you guys - the Dremel flex shaft cannot handle high speed work for prolonged periods but the Foredom barely notices it. I have two of these tools; one is a backup tool and it may never be used.

I probably use their Bench Lathe almost as much as the flex shaft - a variable speed buffer/grinder/flex shaft driver all in one. I haven't bothered with their attachments but only because I already have tools that are built for the purpose.

Be sure to buy a set of brushes when buying your motor.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Dave, I really love the setup you've got there!

I know you asked about the Foredom but just a word on the Dremel flex shaft.

I've had one for about a decade that sees regular use. I took to heart the instructions about not bending the shaft tighter than a 6" radius (IIRC) and try to keep it fairly straight.

I was thinking I'd by the faster of their two standard models, it's 1/3 HP instead of 1/6. I also planned on getting the LX, which is high torque, low speed. Sounds like your rewound Foredom was modified to be like that, am I right?

Mine is an antique compared to what is offered now. Mine has a tag stating 14,000 rpm and 1 amp motor. They were not permanent magnet motors back then either. So the low speed and torque advertisement was for that 1000 rpm less than the standard mode that turned 15,000 rpm....always thought it was mostly a gimmick.
Sounds like they really have a different animal now with that LX model...I'd be interested to hear feedback on it.

I have a flex shaft tool similar to a Foredom, but it came from Harbor Freight with the Chicago Electric brand on it. I picked it up for $2 at a garage sale, but it was missing the handpiece. Got it home and tried it out, it worked fine, so I went online and found a new handpiece with chuck that fit perfectly for $15 on eBay. The flex shaft ran hot and noisy which was solved by removing the inner shaft and giving it a liberal coating of grease. The foot switch that came with it is a simple on/off unit, so it always runs at full speed. Aside from that it works just fine.

I find the tool to be indispensable and I use it for many things. I still need to make a toolpost mount for it so that I can use it as a light duty toolpost grinder on the lathe. The only other thing I want to do is get an IV stand to hang it from. Sadly, Harbor Freight no longer carries that flex shaft tool, so when this one gives up I guess I will have to bite the bullet and purchase a Foredom brand or similar. I've had Dremel tools in the past, and they just don't have the torque that this thing has.

Last edited by a moderator:
i too have one like terry describes, it was a gift from someone on the forum. your absolutely correct about coating the drive shaft with a light coat of h/duty grease. i really like mine even without the foot switch. .

Back