FLAT THREADS

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
just got a new set of Irwin tap/dies and doing some threading projects using 6061, the parts threaded good but both the tap and die parts had flat threads " not pointed tips" but did fit together quite well........

Last edited:
Hardware store stuff will make you sad, usually only suitable for cleaning up existing fasteners. Has been discussed often on here, one of the many places where paying more for quality is a good value....

John

and here I thought they were above the norm.........didnt really make me sad but maybe thiers something else wrong I dont know about

Did you check the major diameter of the material, smaller than required will not form the peaks..

major dia?? how Ive been working a piece is using a caliper from what the thread chart sez then getting the piece close to that size then cutting...

major dia?? how Ive been working a piece is using a caliper from what the thread chart sez then getting the piece close to that size then cutting...
You really need to pick up a Machinery's Handbook and study it . ;) External threads have min and max major diameters while internal threads have min and max minor diameters . You miss them and your threads won't fit or they'll look strange . I wouldn't dare guess the class of threads you're making .

A "Unified" class of thread should have a small "crest flat" and "root flat". Show us GOOD pictures of what you are talking about.

Pictures, we need pictures. Also specifics like thread size, stock size, tap drill size. Most of all, pictures.

ok heres one I just cut as seen the threads are flat, also when looking inside the die the teeth are sharp where it contacts the work piece , so am curious why am getting flat threads

Attachments

• 100_3685.JPG
    100_3685.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 74
Back