Fixture plate for the RT

A fixture plate isn't something one uses every day. My today project was to make a wooden top stool with metal legs.
As I got into it, I realized that I could mount the fixture plate in the lower part of the stool and have a home for it
while it was unused. The 1 inch square tubing came from the scrap yard and was used as a frame to protect
freshly shipped ATVs or more likely the new side by side versions. I used an angle grinder with a 4.5 inch cut off wheel to
remove a bunch of tubing from the scrap pile and had saved it for some future project. I used the rotary table to make
the shape for the wooden seat and the tubing was used for the legs. The starter gear drive from the fixture plate was too small
but I had another one stowed away that was a little bigger, just right for a foot rest and a neat way to hold the fixture plate too.
The welding was done with 7018 3/32 version and after I got used to it, it wasn't too bad. The pipe was only about
a MM thick so had to be careful.
P1030545.JPG
I had to show my old Monarch 14C as well in this photo as this is where the stool will probably be parked. P1030546.JPG
The fixture plate just fits into the top of the ring gear so makes for a neat setup. The oak top was in my firewood pile so it was an
easy job to do some cutting with the table saw and glue up a piece big enough for the seat. It was actually some slab wood
that had been sitting in my wood pile ready for the boiler. It's a little cooler today with a high of about 40F and cloudy. Thanks for
reading along. :)

what a creative place to store the fixture plate!

Plus a little ballast for the stool.
love your Monarch.
one of the places I worked I ran Monarch just like it, may have been a tad larger. Had a 700 RPM top speed, great lathe.
Some day I’ll mention the *Incident* I had with it.
I lived to tell the tale.

what a creative place to store the fixture plate!
Plus a little ballast for the stool.
love your Monarch.

^^^ Exactly this!
Beautiful lathe! (and wire brush and layout...)

....but also....is that actual daylight between the diagonal siding boards?
If so, that's one "cool" shop you have there!

Brian

^^^ Exactly this!
Beautiful lathe! (and wire brush and layout...)

....but also....is that actual daylight between the diagonal siding boards?
If so, that's one "cool" shop you have there!

Brian
Thanks for the kind words, Brian.

What looks like "outside" is really the plastic vapor barrier seen between the boards. When I built the shop A, I used 4 inch rough
sawn boards that over time shrank a bit I see. The boards were put up on the diagonal for strength reasons mostly. It's handy to use
boards as they can be removed and replaced if needed. To me it is way better than sheetrock in a shop environment. The wire
brush is in the way wherever it is in the shop but it's amazing how much it gets used. It is a brushed motor, and almost impossible
to slow it down.

Back