[Newbie] First Ten Things You Need for a Lathe....

Few misc ideas

A hand crank on the lead screw so you can "power feed" quietly at 3am.

A few spare cut-off wheels for the angle grinder when your bandsaw blade breaks. Clamping stock vertically in a workmate and guiding the grinder horizontally on the table makes cutting a breeze.

Ditto on the 8" grinder - reduces curvature on the HSS faces too.

Magnetically attached mirror on the back of the cross slide so you can read the degree marks

Extremely useful mini led light for peering into enclosed spaces like screw threads, boring holes etc:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Mini-LED...071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab1dc25f

You won't regret it. I got 8 and use them all over the place. Keep one near the lathe/mill on a string and one on your keychain. Would be nice to have an on-off switch but a HD paper clip works ok.

You really don't need to buy that little gadget to find the center the height of the tool. Take a six inch scale and put it between the tool and the stock you're going to turn, pressing lightly. If the tool is high, the scale will tilt toward the back of the lathe. Conversely, if it's low it will tilt toward you. Takes only a few moments to get the height correct....

Dave

You know I had to stop and think about that one for a few moments here - (haven't had enough morning coffee yet) - and when it clicked I thought to myself "WOW, That is Brilliant - and so easy!" :biggrin:

Back