[Newbie] First Ten Things You Need for a Lathe....

Assuming the traditional basic factory tooling (centers, spindle sleeve, dogplate, change gears, wrench) in order of essential need . . .

1. A good light
2. 4-jaw chuck of approx 0.66 x your lathe swing.
3. DTI or wiggler
4. Tailstock drill chuck and arbor
5. Tool bit holder(s) including boring tool holder
6. Faceplate, largest that your lathe will swing
7. 3-jaw chuck of approx 0.66 x your lathe swing
8. Live center
9. Tailstock tap/die holder
10. A good oil

Aside from consummables (bits, drills, reamers, etc) everything else is useful, perhaps faster, but not essential.

Safety Glasses. Don't even think about running the lathe without them.

I use the type that allows you to wear your prescription glasses inside.

I find that I do much better work if I wear my "computer" glasses while machining. These are a set of reading glasses optimized for working in front of a computer screen.

Dremmel with all sorts of attachments. I have used mine many times on the lathe for hard to reach places. Lathe lube and oil's are a must and common sense goes a long way too, along with band aids and clean rags for the blood.
Paul

It may have escaped me but a good metal cutting power saw should be on the list. I know some of my projects were put off because of the work involved using a hand held hacksaw.

I have a two speed Delta wood/metal vertical bandsaw that has increased the number of my projects significantly. Future project will be an automatic feed system on this saw with a cut off switch when the cut is completed.

Ray

One thing important to me is a clipboard for drawings or sketches attached where I can easily see it. Mine is on top of the headstock. Generally I run short enough to have a plastic tray on the ways outboard of the tailstock for tools, bits, and emery, or whatever the job might require. I dislike having to chase stuff.

If you are at work,the first thing you should try to do is AVOID any non craftsman boss!! For example,I told my director I needed a Dremel tool. He poo pooed that,because he just "decided" it wasn't needed. Several monthe later,I was making the Brinkley compass,and polishing the thumb screws with a Dremel I brought from home. It was getting quite hot. I said I needed to get a better Dremel. He said"Well,be sure to get one better than THAN thing,it gets too HOT!!:)

Trouble with this guy was,he was always opinionated,and had a very poor memory!!:)

1. Cash for initial purchase
2. Space
3. Understanding significant other
4. Cash for accessories
5. More space
6. Alternate sleeping location ( ie, first time #3 steps in swarf barefoot)
7. Mirror to practice excuses in ("Gee Honey, it's useless without that" has to be said with a sincere face)
8. Long mirror to admire weight loss from spending all your lunch money on HSS
9. A $100 bill tucked in your wallet for ANY time #3 sees something she wants, and says" We can't afford it"
10. Even more of #4 and #5

Pikeman, that is great advice! I will add the need for skills in smuggling new tooling and supplies into the shop. I have so much stuff in mine that whatever I manage to sneak in there soon gets mixed in with everything else.:lmao:

If a guy is gonna thread.....he needs a thread pitch gauge and a fish or thread square.

Back