[Newbie] First Machine Ordered...buying Tooling And Accessories...advice And Help Me Not Forget Anything

when your Chinese premium quality test indicator craps out buy something Swiss made, and it will be your last. The Chinese can build dial indicators for 10 bucks, micrometers for about the same but for some reason their test indicators are junk. It will work for a while, but probably start sticking. When that happens you can try soaking it in naptha but to honest just chuck it and buy something that was made to last.

If you find your mill vibrating after you have it half way level, try taking out the mason mounts and just shimming it with scrap metal between base and floor. Mason mounts really don't seem to be made for precision machines like mills and lathes, more nuisance than help IMO, yes I have tried them and they sit unused in the basement. The cheap ass cast iron feet that the Chinese supply with their larger lathes actually work better, more rigid, the rubber can help a machine vibrate sometimes. To test this, give the machine a good shove with your hand while on the mason feet and then gently feel the machine for vibration, then try same test with it sitting directly on floor with Mason feet removed. That was what convinced me. Most guys I know who own shops just plant their Bridgeports on the floor, no mounting feet no nothing. Other than that your list looks good. When you get your test indicator, if it seems suspect politely notify Enco that it does not meet your standards, they will have UPS come and pick it up and take it away.

Have fun
michael

Thanks Micheal. I am definitely taking a risk on the test indicator, but did so because I've had good luck with import micrometers and calipers as well. Hopefully it lasts long enough until I feel like paying more for a nice one.

It's interesting what you say about the Mason mounts. They weren't extremely cheap at $12 each, so its unfortunate to hear that I may be disappointed with them. Obviously the machine can move more on iso-mounts when you push it (high amplitude, low frequency), but the hope is that it will damp out high frequency machine vibrations that would otherwise prematurely wear components. I always like learning these things through experience though, so it will be good one way or another.

I used a Chinese dial indicator for years with no problem. But,it might have been good luck. I got a Mitutoyo one and gave the Chinese one to an apprentice. Should have kept it for a backup in case I dropped the Mit,though.

I also have Mason mounts under my 16" lathe,and I really haven't found fault with them. My floor is 6" concrete,fiberglass reinforced,if that makes any difference. I used the mounts mostly to elevate the lathe. Had it sitting on oak wedges for several years,but wanted an easier way to level it.

Please elaborate on what is wrong with the Mason mounts,and which mounts you would recommend. My lathe is very smooth running as is.

My Bridgeport is just sitting on the concrete,no problem. But,when I first got the lathe,it didn't like sitting on concrete at all.

Sounds like you're well on the way to getting a decent set of tooling and accessories for your mill. I keep thinking of things, then go back to your original post and see that they're already on your list!
Here are a couple more, which I don't recall previously mentioned:
2" or 3" wide chip brushes - you can get a box of them pretty cheaply at HF.
A good angle plate or two, as well as V-blocks, are useful at times - maybe buy later if your budget looks tight, or keep an eye on Craigslist.
Things like a T-slot cleaner can be bought, but are very easy to make for yourself.
And of course, keep an eye on Craigslist for more end mills (including roughers, ball end, etc.)

PS - Is your avatar a Wankel engine rotor?

Chip brushes and a t-slot cleaner...I can't believe I forgot to add those, thanks.

V-blocks will be nice for some round tubing work that I know I will be doing down the road. I'll look into my options.

And to answer your question, yes my avatar is a rotary engine. I've been building and driving Mazda RX-7's since I was 16 years old and can't seem to rid myself of my affinity for the rotary engine. I'm actually building my current car now and documenting the whole thing by writing articles about it for online magazine MotoIQ. I do all my own design, fabrication, and building so I'm sure my new milling machine will be used for upcoming articles.

Here's the link to the articles I have written thus far if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Mazda/RX7(3rdGen).aspx

Took me a long time to pull the trigger on end mills but I think I found some good stuff without breaking the bank.

First I picked up this set of six Niagara cobalt TiCN coated 4 flute mills for $75 shipped. Includes 1/8" - 1/2" end mills in 1/8" increments.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291436769047

Next I picked up this mixed bag set of nine new Niagara end mills. Various sizes in both 2/4 flutes and single/double end. $36 shipped for the lot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381131926611

How'd I do?

Pretty good! You're getting USA mills at Chinese prices. Happy chip production!!!!

The v blocks can be used for square stock as well in the vise, say you want to put a 45 on a part, no need to sine it, just clamp it in a v block...

Back