First machine Lathe or Mill?

I wanted a Rockwell 2/3 size mill and found one almost mint for a ridiculously high price but it's the one I wanted - had to look at it first ya know? The food was freaking awesome there. As much as I could gobble in 24 hrs anyway. Great guy selling it he drove me to Hope Depot got some plywood made a crate for it, hired a pick up truck guy for 150 to get it to a freight yard - paid another 150 to truck it to New Orleans. I had some airline miles so it wasn't too bad. Well it was real bad but I've chosen to look at it as a positive ;-)
Yeah, finding the little knee mills can be tough. I got lucky and found mine right here in town, not mint by a long shot but serviceable.

You’re from NOLA and found the food in Buffalo awesome? Interesting. I’ll have to check it out sometime, love the food in your town.

John

Lathe. There is something magical about the work that can be done on a lathe. It will motivate you to go further in the hobby. A mill is less intriguing.

Regardless of the final choice, use a speeds and feeds calculator. For years I plodded along using whatever speed the machines were already on and the surface finishes showed it. The difference when I got more willing to change speeds was substantial. Metal just simply cuts better if it meets the tool at the right speed.

Lathe first.

A Lathe makes things round (Captain Obvious) but it can also make things flat (faces)

A Mill makes things flat and with accessories can make things round (on the outside.)

So the lathe is SLIGHTLY more useful.

Me, I enjoy Milling more than lathing.......probably because it is more mechanical (human) powered.

Back