First Lathe Project: Wedding Rings

q20v

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

Thought I'd share with you my first little lathe project. I've owned the lathe for about a year now and have been busy getting it up and running. When I proposed to my wife I didn't give her an engagement ring but I promised her I'd make our wedding rings if she let me buy a lathe. She was ecstatic. I didn't make that up, it's true, and after buying my first lathe with the financial help of my 2 brothers I started making the rings.

The material is somewhat unique in that it comes from the industry in which I work. Can't say much more than that, but it's been quality certified to very high standards (proof of chemical and physical properties, nondestructive testing before and after machining, unique identification, etc). This fastener has completed its service and was being discarded, which is why I have it.

Material:
Nickel Copper Alloy NA18 (Monel K500)
Precipitation Treated

I had a million ideas for different designs and shapes, but in the end I wanted something that symbolized our relationship, and that was to keep it simple, no frills attached, just bands. The material couldn't be more suitable; it's been quality tested and endured years of service without failure. These rings don't have any diamond$, gold, or other materials that end in 'ium' that sell for hundreds of dollars. When I told my wife the first time that I finished the rings that was it, no polishing after the fact, no trying to correct minor mistakes, the scratches and marks from use won't be buffed out, they are what they are. We're both very happy with the results with the exception of one minor problem, we soon found out my wife is allergic to nickel :S I'll have to look into getting her coated.

I finished the rings at the end of May this year and I've since learned much more about the lathe. My schedule of operations could have been different and I should have paid more attention to spindle speed and feed rates. It was a learning experience and I was happy that my loving wife supported the idea with the same excitement I had.

Here are a few pictures:

This is the stud with nut that was partially seized:
DSCN5552.jpg

I held the nut in the 3-jaw and parted it in half:
DSCN5555.jpg

I faced the end and turned down the outside diameter using a HSS cutter:
DSCN5601.jpg

Bored the hole with the biggest drill bit I had:
DSCN5606.jpg

Finished boring the hole with my boring bar using a HSS cutter, put a slight radius on the end, and cleaned up the outside diameter with the dremel and some light compound:
DSCN5637.jpg

After parting off the ring, carefully holding it in the 3-jaw chuck, and carefully putting a radius on the other end, my wife's was complete:
DSCN5643.jpg

DSCN5640.jpg

And this is mine. Chamfers instead of radii and a bit thicker and wider... and a bit scratched up from several months on my finger while working in the garage :):
DSCN7605.jpg

I just went to take a few more pictures of them but the camera died. I have it charging and will take a few more this weekend.

Anyway, that's the story of my first lathe project. I have a few others in the works right now that I'll be sharing with you in the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking and listening.

Barry

DSCN5552.jpg

DSCN5555.jpg

DSCN5601.jpg

DSCN5606.jpg

DSCN5637.jpg

DSCN5643.jpg

DSCN5640.jpg

DSCN7605.jpg

Very nice work there. When I was in college a friend of mine did something similar, except his was a piece of titanium. Turned out great. You have something truly unique there.

Last edited:
Nice job. Excellent gesture. I've made a few rings over the years. And helped other people design and make some. One thing I'll mention is that the material you chose will be difficult to cut off in the event of an emergency. The standard ring cutters EMT's carry won't do it. So be careful where and when you wear it. Definitely not where it might be mashed, or where you are at risk of any injury that may result in swelling. It could cost you a finger.

Nuke related, I'd guess. No need to confirm if you can't discuss it. Just my guess. Worked in industrial fasteners a bit, and sold a few to the power plants. Know all about the required certs/MTR's, etc..

And this is mine. Chamfers instead of radii and a bit thicker and wider... and a bit scratched up from several months on my finger while working in the garage :):
DSCN7605.jpg

Barry

Barry, Very nice project and well made.

My big concern here is that rings, watches and other jewelry have no place in a workshop! Too many fingers have been lost by simple accidents that have been compounded by the jewelry!

Wear the ring with pride when you are out and about, but please check it at the door when you go into the shop.

Personally, I do not wear any jewelry as even when I am out and about, it is too often that I do something like jump down from the bed of a truck and I am glad that I do not have anything on my hands that could catch a stake or otherwise as I jump.

I remember removing a neighbours arm from a bindery machine many years ago, just like it was this morning. It was not a pretty sight. We work amongst some seriously dangerous machines and need to do everything we can to prevent ourselves from getting entangled in the works.

Walter

DSCN7605.jpg

Nice story! I have a similar one. My wedding ring broke into two pieces. After doing nothing about it for months, my wife finally said, my High School reunion is Saturday, and you need to be wearing a ring! I started making a few out of polished and slant knurled 303 stainless, but they weren't for me. Pretty yes, me no. I gave them away to friends and family.

Then the solution hit me... I just wanted a simple, durable and plain band. At work, we had just finished the actuators for the Mars Curiosity rover and we had some left over titanium QA coupons.

I made one 1/2 size too small so it was comfortable, but wasn't likely to have a gap between ring and skin to grab on stuff. Also, it has only a 0.030 wall thickness, so it's very light (yet VERY strong).

IMG_1551.JPG

John

IMG_1551.JPG

Every time I hear that argument I think of the scene from the movie Abyss where the pressure door closes and his (Ti) ring saves him. I figure it can go either way and it's a cause I'd happily lose a finger for. A ring that fits snugly wont cause problems. Dangly bits will. To each their own I guess.Abyss_bud2.jpg

Abyss_bud2.jpg

For a "work" ring, I have a tungsten carbide ring 8mm wide. and wife has a smaller 4mm wide ring. Highly polished, nearly pure black. I don't work in the shop with it on, as I'm in the no jewelry camp, but when I'm out on the other part time past time, I wear it. Keeps some of the nurses away. I suppose if it needed to be removed in an emergency, a hammer would do it. My finger would be sore, I'm sure, but if it has to come off (the ring that is), so be it.

Every time I hear that argument I think of the scene from the movie Abyss where the pressure door closes and his (Ti) ring saves him. I figure it can go either way and it's a cause I'd happily lose a finger for. A ring that fits snugly wont cause problems. Dangly bits will. To each their own I guess.View attachment 43796

That statement wasn't meant to be argument against safe shop practices. I don't wear it when working in the shop. The statement was made against the annoying condition of the ring catching on stuff. Like the edge of my pocket when fishing for my keys, or trying to sneak my hand into a spot I know it can reach...

John

Very nice project. I've wondered about making rings. I would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
Chris

Back