First facing cut - carbide insert - 5/8" brass round

I just figured out the same thing...I'm an idiot. I bought a couple of these when I bought a bunch of other taps and hadn't needed them yet. As soon as I got home I measured mine and got the same measurement you did, then looked carefully and saw the STI. Then I went to the eBay link and saw I missed that detail and ordered the wrong ones.

I'm really sorry...I gave you bad advice and there's no excuse for that. I wish I could help. Heck, I'd send you a 3/8-24 bottoming tap if I had one, but it turns out I don't.

I know it's no consolation but I'm beyond irritated with myself :mad:

One would think in this mess I'd have a 3/8-24 bottom tap I could send but, alas, I only have that one in tapers.
I have a few 3/8-16 bottoms though.

taps.jpg

Do you need a 3/8"-24 bottoming tap? I have one you can have. I will check it first. I measure 0.380" with my calipers, but I will check it with a mic.

Private message me with your details.

Not sure what I missed here but the link the OP posted was also for a thread FORMING tap
Not a thread cutting tap. That is an important distinction. Although the pic above clearly shows a cutting tap so that is not an issue (but good to understand.)
And yes, an STI tap will be way oversized! I have also made that eBay mistake!

Last edited:
In a pinch I took a tap and ground the end off so I could get to the bottom of the hole with threads.

About Rabbit holes! This site can spend your $ faster than a slot machine.
Buying as needed is good advice until you find you are spending more time waiting than making.
I'm always in a rush so hate to wait for a new tool to come. The temptation is to get big sets of cheap import tools. Some are OK, some not so much. HSS tooling works just fine and you can resharpen it many times. But (rabbit hole warning) You really do need to have a smooth running 6 or 8" bench grinder. You might be a lot happier with your insert tools if you buy inserts made for aluminum. They are freer cutting even in steel but don't last as long as the ones made for steel. As for honing HSS, I have several "grits" of diamond "stones" that I like. Maybe not as fine a finish as natural or synthetic stones but they cut faster and stay flat. Above all, Have fun, be safe.

I just figured out the same thing...I'm an idiot. I bought a couple of these when I bought a bunch of other taps and hadn't needed them yet. As soon as I got home I measured mine and got the same measurement you did, then looked carefully and saw the STI. Then I went to the eBay link and saw I missed that detail and ordered the wrong ones.

I'm really sorry...I gave you bad advice and there's no excuse for that. I wish I could help. Heck, I'd send you a 3/8-24 bottoming tap if I had one, but it turns out I don't.

I know it's no consolation but I'm beyond irritated with myself :mad:

No harm, no foul. The end cap has been remade and I'm learning new things as I go. Turns out (pun intended) I didn't have a clean shoulder on the end of the male threading on the scribe body. I went overly deep with the threading on the cap this go around and it still stops at the exact same spot. So I'll try and clean that up now and see what I get.

Back