Finding Lathe and Mill Work

Read the Somerset zoning regulations. Home occupations are permitted in R1 zoning. http://www.somersetborough.com/zone/r1.html

Home occupations are rather vaguely defined. http://www.somersetborough.com/zone/page60.html Scroll down the page to find home occupations. Reading between the lines it appears that allowable home occupations include just about anything that does not generate traffic or objectional noise, odors and the like. Home occupations can only be operated by persons living in the home. No outside employees. I did not see anything about gunsmithing in the zoning definitions. It seems that as long as there is no outside visible evidence that a business is being conducted on the property the business should be ok.

Don't know if this helps or not.
Yes I actually went to a local lawyer in town and verified that I was indeed allowed to do gunsmithing at my current residence however I wanted to form an LLC and that means I can have no mix of personal life where the business is to be conducted. Meaning I can’t have any items I use for my own personal use such as a washer or dryer for example in the area business will be conducted. Business and personal have to be split. I could have done a sole proprietor but I don’t want that I want an LLC. No mater either way cause I am not allowed too. Cost for lawyer here is 6,000.00 to do the paperwork.

Another option is to take jobs from Xometry. We use them for quick turn jobs. We get parts with labels from all sorts of outfits, from job shops to gunsmiths taking on side work.
What is Xometry? Never heard of them before.

What is Xometry?
They're essentially a middle man for job shops and customers. From the buyer's side, you upload a part and they quote it for you pretty quickly. Then they farm the work out to shops who have extra capacity. It looks like they post jobs on a board, and shops pick ones to take on.

https://www.xometry.com/become-a-supplier/

As much as I'd love to hate them, I just can't. I really think they add value to both sides of the transaction.

LLC's provide liability protection from business debts. If your business goes belly up you are not liable for the business' debts. But a person is always personally liable for any harm that they cause. For example suppose you make a negligent repair on a firearm. And your negligence causes injury to someone. Operating your business as an LLC will not shield you from personal liability for your negligence.

The best protection from personal liability is having adequate insurance. Insurance provides two main benefits. First of course is to cover liability. Second and maybe even more important is providing you with a defense to any suit that is brought against you. Very few people and/or small businesses have the where with all to pay for the defense of lawsuits.

Being that you are going to be the only person working in your business and will most likely not have much in the way of business debts, an LLC might not provide you with the protection that you believe it will. You need to get good legal advice on this.

I am not trying to rain on your plan. Just trying emphasize how important insurance will be to you and your business.

LLC's provide liability protection from business debts. If your business goes belly up you are not liable for the business' debts. But a person is always personally liable for any harm that they cause. For example suppose you make a negligent repair on a firearm. And your negligence causes injury to someone. Operating your business as an LLC will not shield you from personal liability for your negligence.

The best protection from personal liability is having adequate insurance. Insurance provides two main benefits. First of course is to cover liability. Second and maybe even more important is providing you with a defense to any suit that is brought against you. Very few people and/or small businesses have the where with all to pay for the defense of lawsuits.

Being that you are going to be the only person working in your business and will most likely not have much in the way of business debts, an LLC might not provide you with the protection that you believe it will. You need to get good legal advice on this.

I am not trying to rain on your plan. Just trying emphasize how important insurance will be to you and your business.
I completely understand, it was the advise from my lawyer to file and LLC, I then contacted a company for insurance aswell. It was awhile ago but I remember insurance was pretty high.

They're essentially a middle man for job shops and customers. From the buyer's side, you upload a part and they quote it for you pretty quickly. Then they farm the work out to shops who have extra capacity. It looks like they post jobs on a board, and shops pick ones to take on.

https://www.xometry.com/become-a-supplier/

As much as I'd love to hate them, I just can't. I really think they add value to both sides of the transaction.
That seems very interesting, do you have any personal experience with them or what is required to start? You can pm me with the answer if you prefer.

Good to hear you are getting legal advice.

That seems very interesting, do you have any personal experience with them or what is required to start? You can pm me with the answer if you prefer.
To become a partner you have to do a test part and send it to them. They send you s lathe part first and then if you pass then you can do lathe jobs and then there is a mill test part. Same ordeal as the other part. As i said above though is that the parts are geared more for cnc machines. Not saying you cant do it manually but ig would be time consuming.

To become a partner you have to do a test part and send it to them. They send you s lathe part first and then if you pass then you can do lathe jobs and then there is a mill test part. Same ordeal as the other part. As i said above though is that the parts are geared more for cnc machines. Not saying you cant do it manually but ig would be time consuming.
Oh I see, yea I don’t want any feature rich parts like that. It would take a long time to make on manual stuff. Plus my equipment don’t have dro’s yet. However I don’t have trouble keeping tight tolerance with dials. The mill is a little harder than the lathe though.

I think there would be a market for someone to make slow speed carbide grinder like the old glendo accufinish. Slow speed or better yet variable speed, 6" diamond discs, reversible, lots of examples on the internet. All kinds of attachments, fixtures are possible for sharpening specific tools.

I enjoy repairing old equipment, I know a logger that uses old equipment, he is always bringing me something that is worn out, replacement could cost thousands even if it is even available. I look at the part, try to figure out what it looked like new and why and design and build something at least as strong as what it was new. Often involves the welder, lathe and mill. It seems like there are 2 types of people in logging and other trades. One buys new equipment uses it, and has high overhead (loans) and high production, trades up when it starts having problems.. The other buys used equipment, pays for repairs (in cash) instead of loans, accepts lower productivity.

Back