Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt...

Well, good. That gives me a ray of hope.

I put it in my Reference Section for the future.
I've already got my shop re-lighting plan in mind and I don't want to be confused by any facts.

That is what I've come to expect from people these days. Everybody wants the easy answer. I always wanted the basis formula instead, so that's what kind of slop I serve in my kitchen. I will give you the raw source code, it's up to you to compile the script and make it run. Concise answers are banal.

20ft ? 4 lights evenly spaced would give you 5 spaces - 2 between wall and lights, and 3 between the lights, so 80/5=16ft.
I wasn't sure of door size, but if 14 then they are probably 18 ft high? I like the amount of light he has...
I'm leaning towards one light in the center of each bay and one on each beam. That would be ~ 12.5 ft a part, but mine will be lower probably 14 ft if mounted right to the ceiling purlin, so hoping 150w will be good for me. That would be 9 lights (dont need one over office) that could all be run on one 15 amp breaker too.
My ceiling lighting is all on one 15 amp breaker for a 2200 sq ft shop. I believe just over 100,000 lumens. I split my lighting into 3 zones so a bank of three 3-way switches at each end of the shop plus outside the office door. That made it convenient to run on one breaker as it is a lot of wire as is. And with the zones I can feel frugal not flooding the unused end of the shop with light.

But I regret not splitting it across two breakers. I have decent general lighting but would like to put in some brighter lights over several spots for which I will need to run another circuit, switches, etc. Not a big deal, I wired it all myself and can add to, but wish I’d planned a bit better so that the capacity was there to just add the lights.

20ft ? 4 lights evenly spaced would give you 5 spaces - 2 between wall and lights, and 3 between the lights, so 80/5=16ft.
I wasn't sure of door size, but if 14 then they are probably 18 ft high? I like the amount of light he has...
I'm leaning towards one light in the center of each bay and one on each beam. That would be ~ 12.5 ft a part, but mine will be lower probably 14 ft if mounted right to the ceiling purlin, so hoping 150w will be good for me. That would be 9 lights (dont need one over office) that could all be run on one 15 amp breaker too.
I verified with Mike at Diesel Creek, the shop under roof is 40x80, but that includes a covered deck in the back. Enclosed it is 40'x64'x18'-6" high. Just in case you wanted to figure out spacing he used. He left the center open to install a third row should he need it, but doesn't feel that will be necessary. Of course that could change once he starts pulling in his big equipment to work on.

My ceiling lighting is all on one 15 amp breaker for a 2200 sq ft shop.
What I meant to say, which is not clear above, is that my current 15 amp breaker is basically maxed out with 14 fixtures at 80 watts each.

Updated my lighting plan based on what I've read / gleaned here and based on my budget (That pesky thing keeps getting in the way!)

This was the thinking process - a little busy, the green squares are what was recommended by the lighting guys for a 40x70 shop - 3 rows of 4 spaced evenly, ~12x16ft. But that ignores the office in the corner, which doesn't need two lights hanging over its roof :rolleyes: or the fact that the spacing doesn't exactly line up with the outer perlins. The blue squares shift things a little, better, but adds an additional light and lights up the front section which is basically a garage bay for vehicle storage only.

The red and yellow circles is what I'm going to go with to start. Plan right now is to put three 150w/21,000 lumen lights in the center section, mounted ~9 ft from the wall and 12.5 ft apart on each side. These will all be on one circuit. Once these are done, I will reassess, but I expect I will need two more in the center, 20 ft from the walls forming almost equilateral triangles with the other 6 lights. Also on this circuit center circuit will be one light for the center of the first bay. I could almost skip that one all-together as there is plenty of light there when either of the bay doors are open. Finally, I will put one light in the back 1/2 bay. That makes 10 lights and they have a 10 light bundle for ~450 on amazon, so it all works out well.

The center is my primary shop, and the only area I really need good light. The recommendations I've found are for 100-150w lights spaced 15 ft apart 15 ft high, or 10 - 12 ft apart for bright light. That area will be 12.5 spacing and 150w, so should be good.

1676851289482.png

I'd have to double check the electrical code, (I'm not an electrician), but my understanding is you are not suppose to put more than 1440 watts of lighting on a 15 amps circuit, due to a NEC requirement to not exceed 80% of rated load for "continuous" use such as lighting. So ten 150 watt lights would exceed this (barely).

Nice layout, I hate when electricians just space lights out based on the overall space don't don't take into account the inner structures and use of of the various spaces. If it were me, I would outlets for future lights be place in the two unaddressed corners (Upper and Lower Left in the drawing) so that should I want to add additional lighting in the future I could just hang them and not have to call in an electrician. Even just the conduit would make expanding the lighting easier down the road.

I also would break the lighting plan into at least two (three would be better) zones. That would reduce the load on any single circuit for future expansion and if I don't need the entire shop lit up at the time I could just turn on the lights where I needed them

Some of the things I have been thinking about for my future shop, God willing.

Back