Finally starting... let the adventure begin.

He doesn't say in the video (or I didn't hear it) but the lights he linked in the description are 250w 35k lumen high bays. He used 8, guessing about 16 ft apart... not sure how high up.

From what I've read, 150W 20k lumen is what I need for ~16-18 ft. I'm planning on 8 for the main area + one for the welding area.

At 13', I am running 12 x 150w in a 60'x36' space. Very bright, but I picked up 3 more for supplemental in my machine shop area due to shadows from the mill head, etc.

I suggest consulting the IESNA (umm, illumination engineering society of north America) lighting manual for lumens per square foot, and scaling from there.

I put up 5 rows, 6 per row at 12 feet in 40x60 shop of these…. Chinese LED from Amazon. A year in. Ok so far no failures. This puts me at about 350 lux by my phone light meter apps between rows. No shadows. I do need task lighting sometimes above the bench where I’m at 1000 lux. But I will say it’s far better than the old fluorescent lights. At 6000k they are on the blue side. Seems to help reading machine dials and scales but color is washed out. Pretty cheap way to update to LED

Kihung (12-Pack) 8FT LED Shop Light Fixture, 75W, 9750LM, 6000K, 96'' T8 Tube Light, 8 Foot Linkable​

I put up 5 rows, 6 per row at 12 feet in 40x60 shop of these…. Chinese LED from Amazon. A year in. Ok so far no failures. This puts me at about 350 lux by my phone light meter apps between rows. No shadows. I do need task lighting sometimes above the bench where I’m at 1000 lux. But I will say it’s far better than the old fluorescent lights. At 6000k they are on the blue side. Seems to help reading machine dials and scales but color is washed out. Pretty cheap way to update to LED

Kihung (12-Pack) 8FT LED Shop Light Fixture, 75W, 9750LM, 6000K, 96'' T8 Tube Light, 8 Foot Linkable​

Very similar to what I did. 17'x36' with 17' ceilings. 5 rows of 4 fixtures. Fixtures are 4' LEDS. Cheep Chinese from Amazon. 3 years in and no failures, no shadows. Still have additional task lighting on the drill press, Lathe, Vertical Bandsaw and Mill. Mostly due to my aging eyes. Very happy with the light. My advise is if in doubt, add more lights. Better to have more light than you need that less light that you need.

Very similar to what I did. 17'x36' with 17' ceilings. 5 rows of 4 fixtures. Fixtures are 4' LEDS. Cheep Chinese from Amazon. 3 years in and no failures, no shadows. Still have additional task lighting on the drill press, Lathe, Vertical Bandsaw and Mill. Mostly due to my aging eyes. Very happy with the light. My advise is if in doubt, add more lights. Better to have more light than you need that less light that you need.
Mine are split 3 rows and 2 rows. Much of the time I use just 3 rows. At $18 a fixture you bet more is better. I already had 4 foot hanging LED which are Honeywell daylight high quality lamps over all the machines from when I had the dismal fluorescent lighting. I use them as task lighting. As I’ve gotten older it really is important to have enough Light. So frustrating not to be able to see the scales.

Mine are split 3 rows and 2 rows. Much of the time I use just 3 rows. At $18 a fixture you bet more is better. I already had 4 foot hanging LED which are Honeywell daylight high quality lamps over all the machines from when I had the dismal fluorescent lighting. I use them as task lighting. As I’ve gotten older it really is important to have enough Light. So frustrating not to be able to see the scales.
How many lumens do these put out, and how high are you putting them? Do you have a link? Hi bays are ~ $50 each for 150w/20,000 lumen lights. 18$ a piece sounds pretty nice!

How many lumens do these put out, and how high are you putting them? Do you have a link? Hi bays are ~ $50 each for 150w/20,000 lumen lights. 18$ a piece sounds pretty nice!
I got them on Amazon. Just search kihung 8 ft led. I can’t get the link to copy. They are 9750 lumens each. they use spring clips to mount. 3 or 4 per. I mounted the first ones with two, no good they tend to pop out. With 4 it’s fine. I have them at 12 ft.high At 4 feet between the rows there very little lux variance at 3 feet off the floor. Nice and even. I took a few and hung them to see if I liked the spacing before putting them all up. Only negative I can say is they seem to suffer a bit of thermal expansion and the ones that are direct linked have tended to unplug them selves a couple times. No big deal just annoying.

I had a thought the other day. The main benefit of hi bays is that hey put out a crap ton of light, so you don't need as many fixtures, but some people have posted about having shadows because they are point source rather than diffuse light. When I was more into photography, we used bounce flash to spread out the light and avoid harsh shadows. Basically, instead of a small point source, you bounced the flash off a white wall/ceiling getting a much larger source of light. Which got me thinking....

Why not mount the high-bays upside down about 4-5 ft from the ceiling? My ceilings are all white. With a 120 degree beam angle high-bay, 4 ft would give you a circle of reflection about 14 ft in diameter. Two high bays ~ 8 ft apart would pretty much cover the entire ceiling of each bay of my shop and provide 40,000 to 70,000 lumens of very diffuse light. Has any one ever tried this? The closest I've very seen would be a guy back home who had some weird lights in his bedrooms. The bottom of the bulb was painted with a mirror that basically created a parabolic reflector that reflected the light back up and out against the ceiling. It worked very well.

instead of a small point source, you bounced the flash off a white wall/ceiling
I do this in my kitchen and living room where I have fixtures that aim the light at the ceiling and I get reflected light in the room. As you say, great for no shadows and a nice soft lighted area

I am not sure I would want to do that for my shop.
1. I don't want to have obstructions 4ft down from the ceiling.
2. I don't want to loose the volume of light that gets lost in the reflection.
3. painting (and maintaining) a bright (white) ceiling in a shop environment seems challenging (not a problem inside my home/living area)

Back