finally brought my 13" S.B. home

hey woodtickgreg the plans are to use it with just a minimal clean up for the time being.
joe_m no he didn't have another lathe or it would have come home with me aswell.
it presented extremely well when i went to look at it. I had to build the trailer for the trade. but i had most of the componants from a former deal so it cost me around $300 out of pocket.
the first thing i need to do is rewire it the former owner started to rewire for 220 he got as far as cutting the wires. second i need a tool post. I think it will be the first thing i will make on it.

I got the SN it is 10353 is the south bend go to guy able to tell me anything about my new to me lathe?

went out into the garage this afternoon and took a real objective look at it and realized I got a lathe that has little use on it. the only sign of damage is on the compound, a little in the corner. other than that i'm a happy camper.

IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0920.JPG IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

If that thing came home with me I could not resist doing a full restore on it! Its just to cool and I think how good it would look and what a joy it would be to use all painted and polished up. These old lathes are a part of our industrial revolutions history and should be preserved and used. I guess I am just envious of your score and wish I could work on it. I'm doing a 10L and having a blast working on it.

If that thing came home with me I could not resist doing a full restore on it! Its just to cool and I think how good it would look and what a joy it would be to use all painted and polished up. These old lathes are a part of our industrial revolutions history and should be preserved and used. I guess I am just envious of your score and wish I could work on it. I'm doing a 10L and having a blast working on it.

i feel the same way but my resources and time are limited and i spent a lot of time searching the local area looking for a lathe that would be the right fit for me. that being price, condition and age. I did not want a machine i was going to have to spend a year redoing before i could cut chips.and secondly i did not want change gears for my first lathe. I have my eye on a shaper that is a project it is a big one and it is sitting in a tree line it has all the bells and whistles of the day including power down feed that machine was quoted to me at scrap price " weigh it and give me what the scrapper will pay" and it's yours.

i feel the same way but my resources and time are limited and i spent a lot of time searching the local area looking for a lathe that would be the right fit for me. that being price, condition and age. I did not want a machine i was going to have to spend a year redoing before i could cut chips.and secondly i did not want change gears for my first lathe.
I understand what you are saying, but I bet one day you will restore it, If you are like me you won't be able to leave it alone. LOL I probably would at least inspect the apron and the wicks in it.

Back