finally brought my 13" S.B. home

no pics but an anvil.

I do not have any pictures yet but an anvil followed me home this week from my trip. the measurements are 26 in long 4.5 in wide 10.5 in high. right now it is strapped to the frame rails of my peterbilt at the yard and it is freezing rain out so the anvil will be seen on monday.

now comes the fun part - restoration!!!

If you need a bull gear for a 13" I have one for sale. Send me PM if you are interested.

it's been a while since i posted on here and today i finally got it wired and a belt on it. everything runs smooth and quiet it was a thrill to see it spinning and all the different controls working. tomorrow it's off to pick up my HSS blanks and the parts to make my QCTP gonna be a full day.

I am a happy little camper.

I made my first chips today on my home made tool post and it worked rather well considering first attempt and all. it does chatter a lot and i think it is because i didn't bolt the post through the base and i just welded it to the top of my base and bolted that to the compound. My tool holder is also a little on the long side this one was fabbed from plate steel.

version 2 will be a 1 1/4 inch shaft instead of a 1 in. with a through hole to clamp it to the compound. the base will also be 1 thick piece of metal with the sides machined down to work in the compound. the tool holder will be machined from solid stock.
sorry no pics this all took place in a cold unheated barn.

IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1062.JPG

That's a nice lathe I have a 47 look very much the same era

Yep, another indicator that it is a "later" model are the oil cups on the side of the headstock. The very early lathes had top oilers and were a total loss system. I have had a few SB's, and I can say I prefer the side oiler system. Very efficient, with much less chance of contamination. Also much less likely to damage the bearings if you forget to add oil. FWIW, I currently have a 13" and I really like it. Not too small, not too big...at least for a garage tinker like myself.

Back