FINALLY bought a mill

500 does seem a bit steep to me but I might have to do it. The part that really hurts is I am about two months away from losing my job (Thanks NAFTA )
and 500 bucks will be a lot of money then.
I looked at putting a new motor on but by the time I got the new motor and adapted it to work I would probably be really close to the 500 mark anyway. I would like to keep it three phase.

Thinking about using the good two hp three phase motor that I have and driving it with a vfd. I will have to adapt it to vertical use with a homemade bracket but that should be easy. Should I use a toothed belt or maybe a double v belt for the conversion. Trying to avoid the stock variable pulleys because I have heard too much about the noise problem

Trying to avoid the stock variable pulleys because I have heard too much about the noise problem
Mine is a little noisy in back gear, but in high range it is pleasant.

My wife is convinced I should just spend the 500 and make it all original. I kind of like the idea of using a vfd and a different motor. I have been working a lot of overtime lately and it is tax time ??? We always get a good refund from uncle sam

Very nice lathe, looks like a 5c collet drawbar , great score.
The XLO looks to be in good shape, unusual for the motor to just fry like that, mine gave up after a year or so usage running from a Digital inverter. Luckily I had also picked up a rewound one for $50 , just because someone had it laying around and had no use for it.
I have 2 XLOs , one I made new lead screws for and a new cross nut. That wasn't too difficult. There are of course more used parts available in Canada than you will find locally, shipping would not be friendly on the pocket book.
Cheers Tim

I have been working on the variable speed pulleys as the bushings were gone and the key was missing on the top pulley. I ordered some plastic shims/bushings from Hove machine services up in Canada but decided to try some homemade brass bushings first. If they fail I will have the plastic ones once they get here.
I acquired a 5 HP motor to use to get the three phase power I need to run both the mill and the clausing Lathe. The plan is to start the 5 hp motor with a static phase converter and use that to get the third leg I need. People who know say it should work.
I am getting the 2 hp excello motor rewound and I hope it will be right because it's not cheap.
That is plan A, Plan B is to use another new motor for the mill and a vfd with a 1 to 1 belt drive.

At the price you paid for the mill and the rebuild your still ahead of the game. About a thousand dollars and your set , I think you did real good. . Both machines look good and I bet they will last , if you take care of them they take care of you.

Back