Filthy Beast.

Looks good Ed. I think all that grease and muck was probably a blessing in disguise. Much better than rust and corrosion, and/or badly worn components. To much oil is almost always better than not enough. Mike

There are products called "barrier cream" that you can put on your hands before working with messy stuff, that form a barrier to protect your skin.

When I used them - oh, 30-40 years ago - there was one kind to protect against water-based soils, and one for non-aqueous soils. The first kind had to wear off; the second kind -- the kind you'd use for grease etc. -- would act as a release agent so when you washed your hands, the muck would (nearly) all slide right off.

Invisible Gloves is a good brand. I had used it in the distant past as well but couldn't seem to find it in local retailers anymore. Then I found that Aircraft Spruce carries it so I ordered several cans at a time to average out the shipping. I use it pretty much every time I go in the shop. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/handinvisible.php?clickkey=138577

bob

If you had to use a steam genny to clean the lathe, I think it would be a good idea to pull the spindle and re-wick. Who knows what's in the oil cavities now.

If you had to use a steam genny to clean the lathe, I think it would be a good idea to pull the spindle and re-wick. Who knows what's in the oil cavities now.

I was very careful not to direct the steam or compressed air into critical areas like the spindle bearings, oil cups, etc. However, I will probably remove the spindle and change the wicks soon. I do want to put it to the test to see how accurate it is and what may need work.

Back