Feeler gauge

what are you setting than needs absolute accuracy?
i have never thought to check a feeler gauge for actual thickness.
even if they were off, how much could they be off? more than .002"????
Like Jo blocks, feeler gauges are often stacked so tolerance stacking can be an issue. Whenever I use stacked feeler gauges, I check the stack with a micrometer for an accurate measurement.

With the exception of one mismarked feeler. my Cal Van set, made in USA, all measured within a couple of tenths of nominal.

I have 12" X .5 Starret feeler gauges in a lot of sizes up to ,032. I use them for precision height adjustments along with parallels I mic the whole setup and adjust accordingly. I can shim 0 - .125 in 1/2 thousands if needed. For general milling and spacing, my Blue Point (Snapon) gauges are accurate enough.

I have brass shim stock in about the same sizes as Redvan22, maybe a couple of more. I use them for mostly shimming, not in a measuring or reference way.

If I use a feeler gauge to measure in thousandths, I will certainly mic it to make sure. Otherwise I'll use a machinist's scale

Ugh, bought several and sent them back from the conglomerate, even sets recommended by so called 'independent' reviewer sites. (Big "A" is so big I believe they pretty much control what gets sold and also control the reviews to sell what they want sold.)

Where can I get an ACCURATE set of feeler gauges?

I see you've got a solution for now. I bet most know this, but I just want to toss this out in case you or anyone wasn't aware- If you want to set engine valves, get feeler gauges from an "automotive tool source". They'll be WAY off of nominal, but inside the engine bay, anyone BUT a machinist, or VERY experienced engine builder will get the valves right with the "adjusted" gauges. The experienced engine builder already figured that out years ago, but learned how to use 'em to get the results anyway. Same goes for several trades. And for that reason, you'll seldom, if ever find a tolerance spec on said gauges, which might be held to three or five tenths total error, but purposly designed to be as much as 0.0025 off of nominal. Stick to good metrology brands, who have products intended for inspection, not for field work.

OK, I just checked my Starrett No. 66 (NOS), Kaster ("Made in USA") and a no-name baby set I've had for at least 40 (if not 50) years 0.010" blades:

Feeler Gauges.jpeg

Using my Mitutoyo 193-211 (checked at 0.0000" & 0.1000" [Shars Grade B 0.100" Gage Block, +0.000014", measured @64°F.]), all three were dead on 0.01000" (yes, I did clean the blades & the anvils on the Mike and used the friction thimble). While my shop is in no way certified, I am confident that my feeler gauges are well within expected tolerances (as @RJSakowski noted, Mitutoyo does list their tolerances, which are ±0.005mm (0.0002" for this range).

Back