Feeler gauge

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Ugh, bought several and sent them back from the conglomerate, even sets recommended by so called 'independent' reviewer sites. (Big "A" is so big I believe they pretty much control what gets sold and also control the reviews to sell what they want sold.)

Where can I get an ACCURATE set of feeler gauges?

Use your micrometer to calibrate them and make a list with actual vs. nominal sizes. They will then be more accurate than any you can buy.

what are you setting than needs absolute accuracy?
i have never thought to check a feeler gauge for actual thickness.
even if they were off, how much could they be off? more than .002"????

what are you setting than needs absolute accuracy?
i have never thought to check a feeler gauge for actual thickness.
even if they were off, how much could they be off? more than .002"????
A variety of situations: gap between end mill cutter and surface without marring it, gap between DRO reader head and scale, piston gap clearances of model stem engine as well as other situations.

One set I bought was 40 leaf's 0.001 - 0.40 and the .005 was .0035, another leaf that was etched .002 was also off by half a thousand. I do not have aerospace contracts but I would expect a little accuracy for a bought product like .002 should be .002, .005 should be .005. Why should I settle for something close?

Might as well make my own but then accuracy will go out the window like eggs through a hen.:)

One set I bought was 40 leaf's 0.001 - 0.40 and the .005 was .0035, another leaf that was etched .002 was also off by half a thousand. I do not have aerospace contracts but I would expect a little accuracy for a bought product like .002 should be .002, .005 should be .005. Why should I settle for something close?
Shim stock is better than that.

McMaster Carr sells Starrett NIST certified feeler gauges. $117 for a 26 leaf set.

All of my feeler gauges came from NAPA, MAC or SnapOn. Between 30 -50 years old. Just went and measured some. All were within 2 tenths plus or minus of stamped size. I use an old .010 feeler gauge for endmills, drill points etc. It reads .0101 in several places. The center of the bent leaf read .0107. I think it's from constant rocker arms hammering on it leaving scratches and nicks.

As far as being accurate. I use two methods. If in question, I mic the gauge or item. I then use it for reference. If I want more accuracy, I check out the B&S or Starrett mics with the Jo blocks at the shop temperature. Maybe 50 in the winter and 80 in the summer. Once I see the reading, I then use that for all the pieces that mate. I have not ran into any pistons, bores or press fits that require better than .0005 accuracy, but that is me.

You might to take a mic and contact a local tool truck. They will probably let you mic the leaves before you buy. They deal with stranger requests from mechanics all the time.

Never had any issues with name brands , but then again I don't use feeler stock for setting end mills etc . If you need a set or two , I do have them down the basement . No , they're not offshore brand . As Mr Whoop stated above , Starrett shim stock is sold and is accurate . Expensive maybe , but may be worth it to you .

There are a number of manufacturers that publish tolerances for their feeler gauges, Mitutoyo being one. A Google search will have them surface.

Back