Fan project

churchjw

Active User
Registered
A few weeks back I picked up an Emerson Electric 6250-D fan. It was in fair shape and went for not much. So I stared reading about these. Man this looks like it could be a cool new hobby, because that's just what I need another hobby.:nono::nono: So I took it apart and started cleaning it.
100_8648.JPG100_8649.JPG

Got it running and figured out this model osculates. But was missing the parts to make it osculate. I looked all over the net and found some vague pictures of the mechanism but no clear drawings or photos. I decided how hard could it be it figure out I knew it had a knob the rotated and an arm that connected it to the body.

100_8620.JPG100_8621.JPG100_8622.JPG

First I made the knob out of some bronze stock. I knurled the edge and turned a post off center for the arm to ride on. I used a piece of wire to get the length of the arm right.

100_8627.JPG100_8637.JPG

I made the first one out of aluminum to get the sizing down. The second one was out of brass (didn't have any bronze sheet stock) I then made a jig on the lathe to turn raised areas around each pivot point. Then trimmed the piece to final shape on the belt sander.

100_8638.JPG100_8646.JPG100_8647.JPG

The final part worked perfect.

100_8652.JPG

More pictures of this project are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/24370911@N08/sets/72157634742199968/

Here is it running.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24370911@N08/9340013762/

Of course after all of this I found one of the blades is cracked so now I am trying to find replacements for them. It never ends.

Jeff

100_8620.JPG 100_8621.JPG 100_8622.JPG 100_8648.JPG 100_8649.JPG 100_8627.JPG 100_8637.JPG 100_8638.JPG 100_8646.JPG 100_8647.JPG 100_8652.JPG

Cool fan, no pun intinted. Now after repairing the blade, you can make an arm to attach it to the mill, that lets you position it to supply you with cool fresh air.

they used to build stuff to last...to bad they decided self destruct a day after the warranty is up was a better way to do business

Jeff I have restored a few of these fans over the past few years. My favorite is Emerson! The more brass you find on one the more valuable it is! I just took a road trip to Oklahoma and ended up bringing back two more fans to restore.

Your effort to make the oscillating arm and knob without a pattern is to be commended. Your finished parts look very good, and that fan should serve you well. I use these fans daily in my shop and in the house. No comparison to the stuff they sell today.

David

Very cool fan and nice work... Very glad you posted.

It would be nice to get some fan "fans" together for discussions. Should that be another thread or another section????? Or is it a bad idea altogether?

Old fans are collected by a lot of folks. I have about 40 and use them in my shop and house. They are a lot of fun to restore and as said before can be valuable. Here is a link to the a fan collector site. A wealth of knowledge and instructions.
http://www.afcaforum.com/category1/

I joined the AFCA forum but being use to HM I am a little spoiled. There wasn't nearly as many good how to and project postings. Most were just the fans people had with some before and after pictures. Of course some of those are way out there cool. But I will keep digging there and see what I come up with. Every little nugget of info helps.

Thanks,
Jeff

It shouldnt be a big deal to rewind it but ya got to have a lot of patients. Is it really that toasted, must have been grunting a long time. ?.

- - - Updated - - -

A few weeks back I picked up an Emerson Electric 6250-D fan. It was in fair shape and went for not much. So I stared reading about these. Man this looks like it could be a cool new hobby, because that's just what I need another hobby.:nono::nono: So I took it apart and started cleaning it.
View attachment 57611View attachment 57612

Got it running and figured out this model osculates. But was missing the parts to make it osculate. I looked all over the net and found some vague pictures of the mechanism but no clear drawings or photos. I decided how hard could it be it figure out I knew it had a knob the rotated and an arm that connected it to the body.

View attachment 57608View attachment 57609View attachment 57610

First I made the knob out of some bronze stock. I knurled the edge and turned a post off center for the arm to ride on. <<<<

Now on this knurled eccentric, shouldnt there be another knurled thumb screw to disable the ossolation? Mine does.

I did not know about the second thumb screw. Never got a good picture of one. Just worked it out for myself. So there is probably a better solution. Could you post pictures of how it works?

Thanks,
Jeff

Here are a few of my fans waiting for restoration. The way things are going, they may have to wait a long time! Also pictured are two emerson fans that I restored for a good friend.

fans 004.jpg fans 003.jpg fans 001.jpg

Back