Exhaust manifold broken bolt replacement....... 2012 Dodge Ram

When my dad was a young man he crashed his hot rod (Ford w/Cadillac motor) into a telephone pole and nearly died. He blames that one on an exhaust leak so be careful putting the repair off. It's not likely to get better on it's own either.

I am glad your Dad got thru that one.
He passed-out/nodded off due to fumes? Scary!

a 12-year-old truck in Michigan is pretty much scrap metal.

I had my 1999 Dodge Ram up until I bought this one in Nov. 2017..... so 18 years old, also bought used.
That old truck had 478,000 km on the clock.....damn I wanted to hit half a million.....
The only way I can see to get my moneys worth is to drive them to dust!
In fact the old truck box and rear-end is now a trailer for the "new" truck.

I plan to never buy a new vehicle again, been there hated everything about it....(Dodge caravan, hood rusted thru, oil pan rusted thru, (how the heck!). Never again! Traded it up for a used suv that I am sure outlived it.

It's not likely to get better on it's own either.

Lol, nope so far no vehicle I have owned has been "self healing", maybe those fancy new cars have that as an option.

quietly trying not to start a EV vehicle debate.... and not blaming anyone.....wait I've said too much bail, bail, bail....

Last edited:
I have done this a couple times...what I found after trying to be clever was cut the heads off the bolts pull the manifold.
I don't think I need to tell you more about removing the bolts.
Everything is rusty as heck here in Ohio so you learn.
I used a counter bore on my BP to clean up the bolt head surface and flycut the mounting face, surprisingly the mounting face wasn't that bad but...I had to...lol
Biggest pain was set up. (Holding)

I used a counter bore on my BP to clean up the bolt head surface and flycut the mounting face, surprisingly the mounting face wasn't that bad but...I had to...lol

The big question is were you doing it again within a couple years?

I could set it up and fly cut the surface, but if it's going to twist around like a kite in the wind either way I might as well not waste my time......

Brian

Drill through the broken section, get some penetrant behind the bolt, use heat to get the penetrant to weep into the threads.

Hi Jim,

As an old hand at this did you use "easy-outs"? If so, what was the success rate?
I can only seem to snap them off making the entire process more painful.
They often seem like a cruel joke played by the tool makers onto unsuspecting DIY'ers.......

Or did you just drill up to the min. diameter and pick out the remnants?

Thanks!
Brian

No. Nickel. Period. Unless you've got stainless bolts. Then use nickle there too, but do it with a big exclamation point. It's chemical soup when you get into dissimilar metals and heat. Nickel will not damage the head in the worst case scenerio, and will still release the bolt/stud.

@Jake M

Wow! Thanks for the detailed and well thought out response!

I was hoping to put this all back together tomorrow. It's my daily drive and I need to get to work on Monday.
Plus it is also my plow vehicle and more snow is forecast for Wednesday.

I understand from you and @aliva that nickel-based anti-sieze is recommended here.
I have copper-based in stock, and the local auto parts place (that would be my best bet) is closed tomorrow.
(....and the amazon next-day shipping is normally three days away!)

Is there some overwhelming reason against the high-temp, copper-based stuff?

Thanks,
Brian

On 2 different occasions , I had smoke billowing thru the dash board on the 6.0 F250 . Both times was traveling up to the property towing the Kubota . Where I81 crosses I80 there is about a 5 mile long hill and this is where it happened both times . Had to pull into the rest stop and pour coffee onto the firewall insulation that was on fire . After reading up with the issue on the Ford site , I ran it up to my mechanic for a look . Cracked up pipe / down pipe on the turbo . $2300 later , the entire exhaust system was replaced with a 4" MBRP stainless system cat and muffler delete . Totally different truck now , runs like a long tailed cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs . I did pop the hood before taking the truck to the mechanic and thought no way in heck did I want to tackle this job . Late Oct with the temps going down , I left it to the pros that could pull the cab off and get to the goodies .

Good to hear of your progress brino . I know it gets cold up your way first hand . :)

Wow! Thanks for the detailed and well thought out response

I'm a company mechanic in the salt belt. While I do some retail, most of my work is in house. I fix things every day that simply could not be fixed at retail. I've done a lot of this type of work. I'm not a machinist... I just stuck a lathe in my basement, so I soak up a lot of stuff here that I'm in no position to reciprocate. So when I stumble on something that is within my depth.... I try to offer solutions, as well as reasoning. Even if it's beyond the immediate need, it will be searchable, and probably applies to a lot more than the immediate need. So thank you as well, for all the stuff you've put up here that might be nothing to you, but I will search and find one day.
Is there some overwhelming reason against the high-temp, copper-based stuff?

Thanks,
Brian

It's not the right answer. The bolts will not freeze in place if you use the copper, but if you have to do this again in due time, which is not uncommon, you'll find that the aluminum holes are corroded back. Enough to matter? Crystal ball? The chemistry escapes me to some degree, but you have dissimilar metals-giving a galvanic "situation" there. Adding the third (the metal in the anti seize becomes a third dissimilar metal. Plus we add our own electrical current, so it gets crazy, way beyond any galvanic compatibility charts. At a level that's way over my head, there's several ways to use that situation to your advantage, be it to "moderate" a galvanic reaction, to act as a sacrificial anode, or to just be so "wrong" that it makes a damaged which is guaranteed to be softer than the parent metals. At a level that's not beyond me, nickel won/t damage the aluminum, and "eventually", and that's use case and environmental conditions, the copper will. Eventually. The next time apart, the aluminum holes would probably accept a new bolt, but the threads, probably still intact, will be eroded back such that they're oversized, with poor engagement. Excellent chance that they won't take torque when they are tightened at that next go-round.

How long are you gonna keep this? How fast did it rot the first time? Are you the first, or has this been done before? I see you found anti-sieze on the stuff you removed.... Somebody's been there. That's NOT factory on anything. Ever. Copper is better than nothing, as heli-coils are so easy to pop into an aluminum head, in situ, provided you have correctly placed holes (which you will). And they are a sound repair, with a stronger and more durable joint than the original. They're very very forgiving about some slight angular misalignment from the awkward manual drilling and tapping. And typically (I know folks hate to hear this.....), typically they have a similar pull out force than the time sert type (solid) inserts do in an ideal situation, but freehanded, with some ever so slight misalignment (or just crazy crooked if you like), the heli-coils shine above. So if you add in the "by hand" factor, and the solid inserts are not as good as the original. But anyhow, it's VERY repairable at a very low cost if you have no other choice, and of course that will apply if you have to go in again. The biggest risk being a straight up mistake with the drill. If you use copper, and you leave the new hardware there forever,t and never have to revisit this...... Just like original half failed hardware, you could never set up a "new" joint with it, but it worked fine as is, after the head, manifold, and gasket all got to know each other via some years of service and heat cycling. It's not gonna fall off. Not for that reason anyhow. The point of that being, recovering from "wrong" is a real thing, more work, more time, etc. but it is NOT something that's going to take the next repair to the next level in any way. It's very, very recoverable with no unreasonable extra tools or skillsets. So in my mind, it becomes a judgement call on your part. What are the odds you'll do this again? And can you fire in a heli coil freehand and get it kinda close? (If you got this far... I bet you could fire in a heli-coil freehand and get it kinda close...). So yeah.... Judgement calls and speculation sometimes come into play in that situation. If you have cause to live with a compromise, and a risk (not guarantee) of future with some known degree of managable (but real) aggrivation... Well..... There you go. Measure with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with an axe. If it has to get done, it has to get done.

One other thought I'm having... You might know this. I "assume" that you're going to torque these fasteners with a carefully calibrated click elbow, right? If so, (assuming it's an experienced click elbow) you'll probably be fine, but if you're actually gonna click the hardware like you oughtta.... Whatever brand of anti-sieze you have is gonna have published nut factors (K factors) for adjusting the torque. It's likely be something in the neighborhood of half to two thirds of the "standard" torque. That stuff is GREAT for fooling you into over stretching bolts, and with the uneaven heating/cooling of that area, and the very different coeficient of expansions.... Pay attention, and while it is a joint that abuses it's fasteners tremendously, it's low force (in the big picture), so if you know about it, you'll probably be plenty close enough.

The big question is were you doing it again within a couple years?

I could set it up and fly cut the surface, but if it's going to twist around like a kite in the wind either way I might as well not waste my time......

Brian
Two in the last three years. I wouldn't have done it once if I had a choice.

Back