Er 40 Collets

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I need some opinions here. I am interested in using ER 40 collets on my south bend 9" lathe. I can make a holder that screws on the spindle and would have the 3/4" through hole capacity, BUT, I can buy a 3 MT ER 40 chuck that will fit into the 3 MT spindle taper for $50. The only drawback is , it only has a 1/2" through hole capacity. I am trying to figure which is the better option. :dunno: I don't know what to do. Any opinions here?

Also.....I'm not sure but with the MT adapter...some use a draw bar. That would kill the through hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own to thread on my Craftsman 1 1/2 x 8 tpi spindle. That way I can work on any length of rod thru the spindle up to 7/8". With the MT3 type you can't use long pieces thru the holder.
I also made 2 other collett holders for the mill. One square and the other Hex. Both use the ER40 colletts.
Also you can buy the nuts in 3 packs for the ER40 very cheap online. They have the lock ring inside to hold the collett straight while tightening.
The last pic is what I use for size to cut the taper for the ER40 collett.

upload_2016-4-1_23-10-10.png

upload_2016-4-1_23-10-25.png

upload_2016-4-1_23-10-44.png

upload_2016-4-1_23-12-13.png

You can buy ER-32 or ER-40 chucks and mount them to backing plates or you can buy one already mounted on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ER40-CO...682633?hash=item2365bc1e09:g:h8QAAOSwoudW98Nh

I recently bought a direct mount ER-40, D1-4 collet chuck from these guys: http://stores.ebay.com/H-H-Industrial-Products. They don't have it listed but I recall seeing threaded direct mount chucks on their site; they probably ran out of them. You might email the guy to see if they have what you need and when they expect them to be in stock. I mention it only because they sell these things for stupid cheap prices and the chuck I have from them has a concentricity of 0.0001" - really accurate.

The pass through capability of these chucks is too valuable to give up, I think.

I think the MT collet chuck would need a drawbar - I have a MT2/ER32 and a MT2/ER20 chuck I use in my Myford that both do - so you wouldn't get a through hole for handling long material. Better to go with something that screws onto the spindle.

Last edited:
You can buy ER-32 or ER-40 chucks and mount them to backing plates or you can buy one already mounted on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ER40-CO...682633?hash=item2365bc1e09:g:h8QAAOSwoudW98Nh

I recently bought a direct mount ER-40, D1-4 collet chuck from these guys: http://stores.ebay.com/H-H-Industrial-Products. They don't have it listed but I recall seeing threaded direct mount chucks on their site; they probably ran out of them. You might email the guy to see if they have what you need and when they expect them to be in stock. I mention it only because they sell these things for stupid cheap prices and the chuck I have from them has a concentricity of 0.0001" - really accurate.

The pass through capability of these chucks is too valuable to give up, I think.

WOW! Those are nice but a little too pricey for me. I can buy both collet sets for that kind of money. I have decided definitely to make the ER 40 holder for my lathe. The $7 nut is a whole lot easier to swallow than almost $300 for a chuck. There is a little more to this decision, but that is posted in my tool grinder thread.

WOW! Those are nice but a little too pricey for me. I can buy both collet sets for that kind of money. I have decided definitely to make the ER 40 holder for my lathe. The $7 nut is a whole lot easier to swallow than almost $300 for a chuck. There is a little more to this decision, but that is posted in my tool grinder thread.

Well, at least it helped you to make up your mind, right? All the guy did is mount a Chinese ER chuck onto a backing plate and you can do it yourself for a lot less than he is charging instead of making one from scratch.

I didn't realize Beall made a 1.5 X 8 ER chuck. You might consider them, Mark. They are well made and fairly accurate; mine has less than 0.001 run out. If you factor in the time and material costs to make one his price is pretty good.

If you do make one, consider spending a bit more on the nut. In my tests, I found the cheap Chinese collet nut that came with my chuck to have more run out (0.0007" for the Chinese nut and 0.0002" for an ETM nut). With the Chinese nut the more I torqued the nut the worse the run out got, while the ETM nut got better. This probably doesn't matter much if you only plan to use collets for work holding but it can make a huge difference for tool holding.

Well, at least it helped you to make up your mind, right? All the guy did is mount a Chinese ER chuck onto a backing plate and you can do it yourself for a lot less than he is charging instead of making one from scratch.

I didn't realize Beall made a 1.5 X 8 ER chuck. You might consider them, Mark. They are well made and fairly accurate; mine has less than 0.001 run out. If you factor in the time and material costs to make one his price is pretty good.

If you do make one, consider spending a bit more on the nut. In my tests, I found the cheap Chinese collet nut that came with my chuck to have more run out (0.0007" for the Chinese nut and 0.0002" for an ETM nut). With the Chinese nut the more I torqued the nut the worse the run out got, while the ETM nut got better. This probably doesn't matter much if you only plan to use collets for work holding but it can make a huge difference for tool holding.

That sounds like a good idea, but I would have thought the accuracy came from the collet taper instead of the nut.

Back