Epoxy floor for a new shop, good idea or bad?

Yeah, Dave. I have been over there, but not much lately.
I did a custom trailer for myself to haul my RC models around in. I was able to get 20% off the flooring by providing my username to the company I bought my floor from. Pretty cool deal. It was https://racedeck.com/

Can you do mine while you're at it? :grin:
One of the regrets I have, should have done it when we were moving in. You've got fresh concrete, I'd go for it!
Wish I had prioritized it just for the non-slip attributes. I've slipped a few times coming in from outside when it's wet.

I stained and sealed my gunroom floor a medium brown. In hindsight, I wish I would have used bright white epoxy to take advantage of the light reflection. I was in a shop years ago where a man was working under a vehicle without a drop light. The building was well lit and the floor was bright white. The older I get any extra light helps

Shelly

We just did my neighbors garage with a kit from Lowe’s. This is his second garage and had this in both. But he does not weld. Looks great! Can‘t believe the difference it made over the cement floor!We used a lot of those flakes.

Bones

Attachments

• 2357D326-7C6B-41D0-B175-49414D0FEE04.jpeg
    2357D326-7C6B-41D0-B175-49414D0FEE04.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 96F5FB63-1F5A-42AB-BF77-A43F0980D7CA.jpeg
    96F5FB63-1F5A-42AB-BF77-A43F0980D7CA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
I stained and sealed my gunroom floor a medium brown. In hindsight, I wish I would have used bright white epoxy to take advantage of the light reflection. I was in a shop years ago where a man was working under a vehicle without a drop light. The building was well lit and the floor was bright white. The older I get any extra light helps

Shelly

I totally agree about the light colored floor. And I would add that I personally think I would NOT add the flakes. Think about finding a small part that gets dropped on the floor. A dark floor and or one with the flakes makes it hard to find dropped items. A nice clean light smooth floor makes finding items easier.

@Forty Niner I am with you on the flakes. Had a neighbor put that flooring down in his Garage/Man Cave. I liked the finish but the flakes not so much. Helped him with a couple of projects. The flakes were very distracting and if you drop a screw, it seemed to blend into the flakes. Was kind of funny watching the two of us crawl around on the floor trying to feel for that stupid screw. By the time we found it, it was definitely time for a shot of something more enjoyable.

Just completed epoxing my shop floor at work. 10k sqft used rust oleum gray with the sand. Power washed with a hotsy and scrubbed with muratic acid. Power washed the next day again. Let dry a day then laid down the paint. Instead of the chips I mixed fine sand in the paint to give a better grip to the surface. The chips are okay but like said it’s harder to see dropped stuff on the floor.
Did the same process on my garage at home 10yrs ago and is as new as when I first painted. Worst part is floor is still slick especially with snow on your shoes.

We just did my neighbors garage with a kit from Lowe’s. This is his second garage and had this in both. But he does not weld. Looks great! Can‘t believe the difference it made over the cement floor!We used a lot of those flakes.

Bones

Do you recall the name of the product?

Do you recall the name of the product?
No, I don’t . I didn’t buy it and the cans are gone. But he did buy it at Lowe’s and the paint guy mixed some of it. We actually got two slightly different shades! Go to Lowe’s ask the paint guy for the epoxy garage floor paint. It is a two step process. You put the grey ( or what ever color) down , then spread the flakes, then come back with a sealer. I was more of a spectator, as my niehbor’s b/l is a professional painter, so he did most of the work! I called my neighbor, he said he couldn’t remember the “ name “ of it, just epoxy garage floor covering! It has been two months since we/he did it. No problems yet! Hope this helps.

Bones

One point on doing floors with the product we used , is it showed the cracks. Our pro painter did something, I can’t remember exactly what, but they showed through when we were finished. If I did it again I would paint the cracks, first then go over the whole thing. One coat was great on most of the floor, but you can see the crack treatment. Not a big thing..... but a thing!

Bones

Back