End Mill Lubrication

Which Trim-Sol product?
I've used Trim-Sol CR350 for 5 or 6 years now. I don't remember why I chose that one, but I've always been happy with it. I use an aquarium air pump on a timer 15 minutes twice a day and have never been plagued with odor or growth (don't know if the air helps though - I've just always used it)? See my post above about rust and Trim-Sol.

It appears that Master Chemical/Trim Sol requires some sort of corp. account in order to download SDS'. A few online re-sellers have them but the practice of not making your SDS sheets publicly available rubs me the wrong way.

It is publicly available, they only require you to register with them, took me a minute. A company affiliation is required in one of their fields, but there were no checks...so self, none, etc, should work. Did not even need an email verification, so you could fake all that as well. I think the only reason they do this is they only recommend using it (and perhaps all their products) in industrial settings.

Trim Sol is pretty benign stuff. Not harmful, except if gotten in eyes, causes irritation.

Last edited:
I have read this complete thread and there are many opinions here. In fact so many different opinions , I am finding it hard to make a decision. I want to go to flood coolant on my saw and maybe my lathe, but after reading all the info here I am not sure which way to go. I remember the old solvable oil coolants that soured after a while and smelled like the out house on a fishing boat and don't want that. Is this a problem with the Trim-Sol?

Maybe check out Accu-lube? MQL system is almost dry. No sticky mess. You do need enough shop air tho.

I have read this complete thread and there are many opinions here. In fact so many different opinions , I am finding it hard to make a decision. I want to go to flood coolant on my saw and maybe my lathe, but after reading all the info here I am not sure which way to go. I remember the old solvable oil coolants that soured after a while and smelled like the out house on a fishing boat and don't want that. Is this a problem with the Trim-Sol?

Mark, Trim Sol has a FAQ on their site that addresses possible odor. I remember when I was in an R&D shop with large amounts of coolant, the machinists would change and clean out the sumps after 3 months or so. They did not use distilled or RO water, whereas I do.

I do not have any issues when using Trim Sol in a spray bottle for lathe and mill use, however when I add flood coolant to my bandsaw in a few weeks, I will do as Groundhog does and use a timed aquarium air pump. That will definitely help prevent the anaerobic bacterial from building up. (This is the source of the odor).

The problem with Trim Sol and other manufactures is the vast amount of products they offer. Certainly creates confusion of selection. I went with a general purpose, all around good performer, since I am not doing anything critical or high speed...hence SOL/1. Whereas others are using different Trim Sol selections, which work well too.

I suspect most of their products (as well as the other manufactures' designed cutting fluid pointed out here) work just as well. Remembering this thread was started by asking what we all were using for aluminum machining. Tap Magic, Rapid Tap, A9, are all designed for cutting/tapping of aluminum as well as Trim Sol in a spray bottle if you don't have flood coolant.

The point I wanted to make is there are properly designed cutting fluids available that are not expensive....even lower cost than WD-40, and will make a huge difference in your cutting/machining experience.

Why did I go with Trim Sol? I had a lot of wants:
I wanted something that would take the place of WD-40, something designed for machining.
I wanted something that worked for many metals..cause I'm lazy/cheap and did not want to have different formulas of Tap Magic, Rapid Tap, etc for different metals.
I wanted something for a low cost, yet perform well....did I mention I'm cheap?
I wanted something I could use in a spray bottle. I had been using WD-40 (bulk) in a spray bottle.
I wanted something that did did not smell bad when taking heavy cuts.
I wanted something that lasted a long time so I did not have to continually order or store many bottles.
I wanted something that I could use in a flooded coolant system.

The Trim Sol I went with is $2.45/gallon for a proven coolant/cutting fluid, that is very hard to beat. That is a lot cheaper than WD-40 (by almost 8:1) and cheaper than Kerosene.

Below is from Trim Sol's FAQ section:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
5) Why does my coolant have an unpleasant smell?

An unpleasant coolant smell is most likely attributed to anaerobic bacteria. Bacteria produce waste products, which often contain sulfur and exude the "rotten-egg" smell. Bacteria are major contributors to coolant failure. They chemically alter coolants and destroy the lubricants and corrosion inhibitors in the process. They also pass off corrosive acids and salts into the coolant, which can lead to low pH and corrosion problems. The bacterial growth can be minimized by:

• Maintaining proper coolant concentration.
  • Good housekeeping practices (cleanliness).
  • Preventing or minimizing contamination.
  • Good filtration of the coolant and continuously removing chips. Thorough, periodic sump clean-outs.
Oftentimes, "cover-ups" which are perfumes, can be used to mask odors but they are not a cure and their use can lead to more serious fluid problems later.

18) Why does the machine sump smell badly after a few days shut-down?

When a machine is shut down for a few days some of the tramp oil in the fluid separates and rises to the top of the sump sealing off the fluid from the air. Anaerobic bacteria grow and reproduce without the need of oxygen. As a matter of fact oxygen actually inhibits their growth. These bacteria in the stagnant fluid now begin to grow and release hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas that dissolves in the coolant. When the coolant pumps are turned on at the end of the shut down the dissolved H2S is released to the atmosphere. H2S has the characteristic odor of rotten eggs and the human nose can detect it at the 1-2 parts per billion level. Talk to your Master Chemical District Manager or your TRIM® distributor about ways of controlling this persistent problem.

Mark, Trim Sol has a FAQ on their site that addresses possible odor. I remember when I was in an R&D shop with large amounts of coolant, the machinists would change and clean out the sumps after 3 months or so. They did not use distilled or RO water, whereas I do.

I do not have any issues when using Trim Sol in a spray bottle for lathe and mill use, however when I add flood coolant to my bandsaw in a few weeks, I will do as Groundhog does and use a timed aquarium air pump. That will definitely help prevent the anaerobic bacterial from building up. (This is the source of the odor).

The problem with Trim Sol and other manufactures is the vast amount of products they offer. Certainly creates confusion of selection. I went with a general purpose, all around good performer, since I am not doing anything critical or high speed...hence SOL/1. Whereas others are using different Trim Sol selections, which work well too.

I suspect most of their products (as well as the other manufactures' designed cutting fluid pointed out here) work just as well. Remembering this thread was started by asking what we all were using for aluminum machining. Tap Magic, Rapid Tap, A9, are all designed for cutting/tapping of aluminum as well as Trim Sol in a spray bottle if you don't have flood coolant.

The point I wanted to make is there are properly designed cutting fluids available that are not expensive....even lower cost than WD-40, and will make a huge difference in your cutting/machining experience.

Why did I go with Trim Sol? I had a lot of wants:
I wanted something that would take the place of WD-40, something designed for machining.
I wanted something that worked for many metals..cause I'm lazy/cheap and did not want to have different formulas of Tap Magic, Rapid Tap, etc for different metals.
I wanted something for a low cost, yet perform well....did I mention I'm cheap?
I wanted something I could use in a spray bottle. I had been using WD-40 (bulk) in a spray bottle.
I wanted something that did did not smell bad when taking heavy cuts.
I wanted something that lasted a long time so I did not have to continually order or store many bottles.
I wanted something that I could use in a flooded coolant system.

The Trim Sol I went with is $2.45/gallon for a proven coolant/cutting fluid, that is very hard to beat. That is a lot cheaper than WD-40 (by almost 8:1) and cheaper than Kerosene.

Below is from Trim Sol's FAQ section:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
5) Why does my coolant have an unpleasant smell?

An unpleasant coolant smell is most likely attributed to anaerobic bacteria. Bacteria produce waste products, which often contain sulfur and exude the "rotten-egg" smell. Bacteria are major contributors to coolant failure. They chemically alter coolants and destroy the lubricants and corrosion inhibitors in the process. They also pass off corrosive acids and salts into the coolant, which can lead to low pH and corrosion problems. The bacterial growth can be minimized by:

• Maintaining proper coolant concentration.
  • Good housekeeping practices (cleanliness).
  • Preventing or minimizing contamination.
  • Good filtration of the coolant and continuously removing chips. Thorough, periodic sump clean-outs.
Oftentimes, "cover-ups" which are perfumes, can be used to mask odors but they are not a cure and their use can lead to more serious fluid problems later.

18) Why does the machine sump smell badly after a few days shut-down?

When a machine is shut down for a few days some of the tramp oil in the fluid separates and rises to the top of the sump sealing off the fluid from the air. Anaerobic bacteria grow and reproduce without the need of oxygen. As a matter of fact oxygen actually inhibits their growth. These bacteria in the stagnant fluid now begin to grow and release hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas that dissolves in the coolant. When the coolant pumps are turned on at the end of the shut down the dissolved H2S is released to the atmosphere. H2S has the characteristic odor of rotten eggs and the human nose can detect it at the 1-2 parts per billion level. Talk to your Master Chemical District Manager or your TRIM® distributor about ways of controlling this persistent problem.

Interesting . I'm now thinking I will hold off on flood coolant as there will be too much dormant time for it. After all , I have a tiny little 8x 12 hobby shop not a production setup. That being said, I remember many moons ago, In a shop I worked in, we had flood coolant on our surface grinder. It never had a smell problem and many times would go for days without being run. But I don't know what was in the coolant tank. I do know the lathes coolant smelled so bad I would throw up when I got close to it.

I will be buying another FogBuster for the lathe, and will likely just put A9 in it. Seems to work well for the mill. :)

Later this summer when I finally upgrade my bandsaw, I am unsure what to put in the coolant tank. As I do mostly aluminum with some steel (about 30% of the time), would A9 work in the bandsaw?

Back