End Mill Lubrication

I have also had good results with Relton A-9. The SDS only lists mineral oil as 70-90%. I'm guessing the color is from a non-toxic dye that does not need to be disclosed. Has anyone tried straight mineral oil or canola oil?

Just a note. Saturday I was turning and milling some 6061 2.5" rod and my bottle of Trim Sol ran out. Instead of mixing some more, I grabbed my bottle of WD-40 to finish the job. What a difference, after a few minutes, I stopped and mixed up my Trim Sol. There is absolutely no comparison between proper coolant/cutting fluid and WD-40. With the WD-40, the tool did not cut quickly, heated up fast, and smoked.

I pay $27/gallon of Trim Sol, which makes 11 gallons when mixed. Compare this with $20/gallon of WD-40.

For aluminum I generally use Relton's A-9 but on occasion will use some WD40. I much prefer the A-9 though.

Mike.

I use WD-40 in a spray car for quick aluminum jobs on the lathe or bench. My Grizzly G0709 has Trimsol in the tank, with distilled water. That's used for flood coolant when turning.

Bruce

For aluminum I generally use Relton's A-9 but on occasion will use some WD40. I much prefer the A-9 though.
Mike.

I have A9 in the FogBuster and use it on everything because it's better than nothing and I'm too lazy to keep changing back and forth for aluminum vs. steel. Surprisingly, it (A9) works pretty well for steel... :D

I have A9 in the FogBuster and use it on everything because it's better than nothing and I'm too lazy to keep changing back and forth for aluminum vs. steel. Surprisingly, it (A9) works pretty well for steel... :D

I use Trim Sol for both, it is a general purpose coolant/cutting fluid. Nice thing about it is you can use it as a flood coolant or in a spray bottle as cutting fluid. I use it on my Bridgeport and Lathe when cutting. Getting ready to install a catch basin on my Kalamazoo bandsaw and will use it as a flood coolant.

I have not used A9, but have a quart of Rapid Tap (maker of A9) on the shelf with a case of Tap Magic. I stopped using those when I "discovered" Trim Sol. I like the smell, cleanup, and cutting action of Trim Sol so much I just standardized on it. It seems to cling to the metal well too.

Which Trim-Sol product?

SOL/1

I buy it here: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=319-3899

(No affiliation with Enco)

Metalworking Fluids & Coolants; Type: Cutting & Grinding; Form or Style: Water Soluble; For Use With: Ferrous Metals; For Use With: NonFerrous Metals; Container Size (Gal.): 1.00; Container Type: Bottle

Container Size: 1 Gal.
Container Type: Jug
Package Quantity: 4
Type: Trim® SOL Heavy-Duty Soluble Oil
Manufacturer Part Number: SOL/1

It appears that Master Chemical/Trim Sol requires some sort of corp. account in order to download SDS'. A few online re-sellers have them but the practice of not making your SDS sheets publicly available rubs me the wrong way.

Back