Enco rf-30 vs mini mill

Drebs

Registered
Registered
Hey guys new to machining, have a harbor freight mini mill I bought at an estate sale for $250, I do hobby work , have the ability to get a enco rf-30 in an auction with a 4” Kurt vice ( Kurt D675 Vise RR-43) It was used at a hospital maintenance department, looks to be in good condition.

I’ve read they are good machines, seems to be bigger than mine.

Mine is dialed in to the .001 all ways with a little machine shop vice. Again I do hobby work but always looking for an upgrade I’ve read the spindle can trash and while this machine looks to be more of a drill press style than mill I’m curious of its accuracy. I’ve also heard of the quill bearings go out it stinks. And cost a lot to replace.

The only thing I don’t like on my mill is that on the fly cutter and cuts depper than .010 I can get a lot of vibrating and shaking. I will stay a hobbiest so just trying to figure out if im
Trading sideways or up

Never used a mini mill so can't really compare I guess. My round column is an Enco 30 or 31 knock off IIRC. It's about 450lbs. Not terrible to move or set up with help if you remove the column.

Pros: I've cut .100" doc in steel with a 1/2" rougher without much problem wired for 110v. Lots of low end torque multiplication with the belt drive. I assume that's a step up from a mini without taking up big real estate in a small shop. Nice for bigger drills at least, probably not big face mills or etc.

Cons: Round column loss of z, and just a less rigid design compared to a knee. Changing speeds is a bit of a chore. Can't say I've ever went deeper than .005" with a fly cutter, but I kind of doubt mine would cut .010" in steel with a fly cutter and remain happy.

I try to get around the Z axis problem by switching between R8s and an ER32 collet chuck, which helps a lot moving between tools.

Be interested to hear what those who have used both say. I assume the standard advice of "just buy a Bridgeport" applies ;)

I have had an RF30 clone for over forty years and not had to replace any parts. It is showing some wear in the lead screws but, with a DRO, it is capable of doing sub-thousandths work. They are indeed sold as a mill/drill and as drill press, they are a step above most drill presses in terms of rigidity and available torque.

My RF-30 was made in ‘88 and is a real made in Taiwan. There are a lot of mill/drills around and not at all the same but it takes a practiced eye to know the difference. Mine is a little over 700#’s so it needs a proper engine hoist to move safely IMHO.

It takes a little planning to not mess up your register if moving the Z but with a little foresight it’s no problem. For me it’s been a good fit as I’m a hobby guy doesn’t do huge projects. Mine was well used and could use a X lead nut but most the parts are still available through Grizzly.

If the price is right get it they are good machines they are a PITA to install a DRO on.

Never used a mini mill so can't really compare I guess. My round column is an Enco 30 or 31 knock off IIRC. It's about 450lbs. Not terrible to move or set up with help if you remove the column.

Pros: I've cut .100" doc in steel with a 1/2" rougher without much problem wired for 110v. Lots of low end torque multiplication with the belt drive. I assume that's a step up from a mini without taking up big real estate in a small shop. Nice for bigger drills at least, probably not big face mills or etc.

Cons: Round column loss of z, and just a less rigid design compared to a knee. Changing speeds is a bit of a chore. Can't say I've ever went deeper than .005" with a fly cutter, but I kind of doubt mine would cut .010" in steel with a fly cutter and remain happy.

I try to get around the Z axis problem by switching between R8s and an ER32 collet chuck, which helps a lot moving between tools.

Be interested to hear what those who have used both say. I assume the standard advice of "just buy a Bridgeport" applies ;)
No, I can’t even go more than .0015 with a 2 inch face with five cutters… with a 3/8 carbide about .010 is really pushing it

No, I can’t even go more than .0015 with a 2 inch face with five cutters… with a 3/8 carbide about .010 is really pushing it
not at all my experience. Depending on the material .010 DOC on my face mill and .04-.050” on 1/2 HSS endmill aluminum and around half that on mild steel. I sharpen my own endmills so when they get where they don’t cut I take care of them.

Last edited:
not at all my experience. Depending on the material .010 DOC on my face mill and .04-.050” on 1/2 HSS endmill aluminum and around half that on mild steel. I sharpen my own endmills so when they get where they don’t cut I take care of them.
Is that a 4 or 2 flute ? On a harbor freight or sieg x2 style mini mill? If so have you done the upgrade on the motor ?

Is that a 4 or 2 flute ? On a harbor freight or sieg x2 style mini mill? If so have you done the upgrade on the motor ?
Oops, sorry I thought you were talking about the RF-30. Don’t have any experience with a mini mill. Used the RF-30 and a Bridgeport at a place I used to work.

Huh, depending on the setup, I could take .040-.060 off big aluminum block on my previous RF-31 and get a really nice finish. Those machines, when run right, can do good and useful work. By run right, I mean gibs locked, head bolts tight (even better if replaced with studs), quill lock engaged, and power fed. If you're on a tight budget, they get the work done. No, they're not a two ton knee mill, either, but I would have to rate the round column RF in a much higher level of capability than a mini-mill. A mini mill feels like using a Dremel in comparison.

Back