Enco 30% Offer - Today Only

Yeah, I tried that also. Shipping wasn't bad though; < $16 for what I bought. Cool that the sale is held over.

Steve Shannon, P.E.
Yeah it kinda bummed me out too, $22 shipping on mine. On the plus side, I am getting a small surface plate with my other goodies.

glad I spotted this. got a lot of stuff that was on my wish list. $35 for shipping, but saved over $100, quite a bit of heavy items too (like a granite surface plate

I have been waiting for a good price on a c5 collet set (other that the $99.95 "sale" price in their Hot Deals catalog for a couple of years running). Placed my order along with a few other items, e-mail comes back "not available"! Oh well at least the other items are coming at a good price.

I got an Aloris QCTP for my PM1340GT lathe. I went with the three piece set and with 30% off it came to about the same price as just the tool post by it's self. I also tried to use the free shipping but it didn't work for me either.

I have been waiting for a good price on a c5 collet set (other that the $99.95 "sale" price in their Hot Deals catalog for a couple of years running). Placed my order along with a few other items, e-mail comes back "not available"! Oh well at least the other items are coming at a good price.
YIPPEE, my order came Monday, C5 collets were shipped separately but from the same place?? Shipping charges totaled only about 50 cents more.
Free shipping didn't work for me either.

Just some insight into this "sale" issue:
I have been buying a lot of stuff in the last few months to setup my new shop. I'm signed up on ENCO and MSC emails both. What I've observed is that they first of all WAY over price most items. Then they are almost CONTINUALLY in these "sale wars" with some various sale every week, and sometimes multiple sales in any given week, and FREQUENTLY, the emails hit from both sites like clock-work "coincidentally" on almost the same hour of the same mornings. Also, every item you buy, take a few minutes to SHOP around the internet before you commit, even if it's on "sale". I've even bought a few machinist-type items from Amazon.com that beat the price of either ENCO or MSC while on "sale", and with amazon prime, the shipping is usually free.

Lesson learned: NEVER buy anything from those two machine-supply websites unless it's on sale, unless you have to have it now. Wait a few days, and there will almost certainly be some kind of sale or at least free shipping. About the best one I've found so far is the MSC 25-40% off PLUS free shipping. I've "saved" a lot doing that, but I also just bought some threading bits from ENCO at about a 30% "discount". Seems to me the conclusion is that they should just price stuff reasonably in the first place and stop trying to continually trigger people's momentary impulses to buy something "NOW!". It's silly, unnecessary, and just breeds more discontent, wandering if tomorrow they will launch a 30% sale, when you just bought something on 25% today.

Make no mistake, I'm only confirming and agreeing with everything everyone has said on this thread so far. Absolutely buy when the sale hits, but just realize that was their marketing scheme anyway: to sell most of their stuff "on sale", which are actually prices geared toward something more normal anyway.

Just trying to help, and only one guy's observation.

MSC and ENCO will probably put a hit on me now :gangster:

:p
RIO

Also, don't forget to check the Aloris website directly:
http://www.aloris.com/

They have sales too. Right before Christmas, I bought a BXA post and 6 holders at 25% off and free shipping, if I remember right. There is also a sale on there right now.
Sorry, SANDDAN, I hope this info isn't too late for you! You probably got a good deal anyway from ENCO on the Aloris stuff.
Seems Aloris is catching the "sale sale sale" bug too. Oh, well, why complain, a deal's a deal.

RIO

P.S. Don't look now, but realize this is real marketing genius with this "sale" hype. Why? Because they're using the customer hype to get us to do their marketing work for them. It's working. I wonder how many people are being directed to their websites right now because of this thread?

I actually come here when I'm planning a order & this site is what lead me to econ to start with.

I plan my order & wait on the discount. They usually get me with a few add ons because of the sale they are having along with the discount. I added a debur & automatic center punch because of the sale this time. I didn't like the debur tool I already had that needed blades & my center punch of 20+years is wore out so I was happy to be pushed to those impulse items.

Back