Enco 105-1100 for sale; thoughts?

Then the price is in the right ball park for an RF-30 with little use. It looks almost new, paint-wise anyway.

Just wondering, but which mill do you really want: an RF-25 or an RF-30? Or do you care? Given the fact that you live in the
LA area, I would think that there are lots of machines to choose from if you're patient and are willing to take some time. Also,
are you willing to invest time/$$$ in an older machine to remove rust or make repairs, or do you basically want something that's
pretty much ready to go? (As far as bearings are concerned, any older machine could need them.) And of course, saving a
couple of hundred bucks on a machine but then just spending it on tooling is no help.

All of these questions are important in deciding how much a machine is worth, (to you).

Just wondering, but which mill do you really want: an RF-25 or an RF-30? Or do you care? Given the fact that you live in the LA area, I would think that there are lots of machines to choose from if you're patient and are willing to take some time. Also, are you willing to invest time/$$$ in an older machine to remove rust or make repairs, or do you basically want something that's
pretty much ready to go? (As far as bearings are concerned, any older machine could need them.) And of course, saving a couple of hundred bucks on a machine but then just spending it on tooling is no help.

All of these questions are important in deciding how much a machine is worth, (to you).

I'd prefer a smaller one, but a larger one would be fine. I'm also fine investing time and money in a fixer-upper machine. I'd prefer something that has parts readily available. I know I'll have to spend money on tooling, but I can wait. I just post here when I see something to see what others think.

So much of what I've seen is over-priced. The lower-priced stuff gets snapped up or the sellers don't get back to me at all (probably because they sold it). To me, knowledge is power; the more I know, the better position I'm in when I negotiate from some seller who's helping some friend get rid of his stuff or someone who thinks they have gold because the paint looks new on a 24 year-old machine. I'm getting a better idea of what I should be paying because of this forum, so thanks to all!

As I'm sure you all know, I need to get this by the CEO/Wife. The less I spend the better! I'd rather spend the same amount of money over time than all at once. She took one look at this and said "I don't know what this is, so you don't need it.". I can argue that I kinda do: I teach Engineering at a high school, so I'd like a small mill to create projects on over summer and at home. It saves me from staying late or going in on weekends. I can also leave something in the mill and come back to it. I have access to bigger mills at work if I need them.

"I don't know what this is, so you don't need it."

I've pretty much solved that problem (with my lathe) by making things that my wife wants. Each time I do a project for her,
her attitude about machine tools improves! But of course, I had to get it in the door first.

I think that you are getting a feel for the value of these mills and that the good ones at a fair price sell quickly. I could be wrong but I don't think that the one in your post #15 will sell anytime soon. I would definitely go look at the one for $925 asap. The head is as low as it will go so you can not see what the lower portion of the column looks like. The little bit of the upper portion of the column that you can see doesn't look very rusty and the table looks like just surface rust. I blew up the pictures to get a better look.

I'd Ck HF there mill drill which I own is as good as that and with the 25% coupon it's about a $1,000 , there clamp hold down set is about $50. . For there knee mill is list $1,899 that with 25% off is still less then that price. Be smart shop

I'd Ck HF there mill drill which I own is as good as that and with the 25% coupon it's about a $1,000 , there clamp hold down set is about $50. . For there knee mill is list $1,899 that with 25% off is still less then that price. Be smart shop

I'm using that mill and the Grizzly one that's $1800 delivered as a comparison for when I tell people what I'm willing to pay. I can't believe sellers don't do some homework and at least see what else is out there and what it sells for.
The problem I have with HF is the quality is so spotty. I've inspected other machine tools in the store and found them wanting. Everything feels like its the absolute cheapest option. I know that they just steal other designs and have lawyers in-house to help them get around patents. If you've ever wondered at some weird switch or handle arrangement, that's why. I know this because I took a tour of the facility in Camarillo and they told me. I couldn't believe it! I suppose the Rong Fu clone they sell is no different from any of the other companies slapping their label on it, but I think the QC is not very good. They told me they order direct from a factory to get great pricing (I think they make money even with the 25% off coupon), so maybe they order from the factory that makes these for everyone else.

The seller wants $1400 for this! Looks like it was made in 1979. Not sure about COO, the label was covered. It's a Jet-15. Thoughts?

I may call instead of text or email and give them my speech about the Grizzly and the HF one being close in price new. I usually ask what they are basing the price on.
jet MD-18 1.jpg jet MD-18 2.jpg

If $1400.00 was too much for the nice pretty one, then it's too much for one with rust.

The seller wants $1400 for this! Looks like it was made in 1979. Not sure about COO, the label was covered. It's a Jet-15. Thoughts?

I may call instead of text or email and give them my speech about the Grizzly and the HF one being close in price new. I usually ask what they are basing the price on.
View attachment 279092 View attachment 279094
UPDATE:
Talked to the seller. She's selling it for her dad who passed away awhile ago. She had help with the pricing. It's been sitting in a barn for 5 years. She was washing it off with water. I gave her my sales pitch and told her these were selling in the $500-$700 range and that I could get a new one for $900. She says she's had a few calls. I told her to keep me posted. I'd be curious to know what she sells it for. Another data point for me. It's about a 2 hour drive for me, so I want to agree on price, or at least get close, before I drive out.

Back