Emco Maier Compact 10 questions.

BigKen

Registered
Registered
I found a Compact 10 locally and am interested in it, but the lack of info on the net is making me think twice. From the ad it looks like not much tooling. I can find stuff for all the other Emco lathes but not much for the Compact 10. Anyone have experience with this model? Any short comings why it wouldn't be worth getting? The price seems high but I am talking with the owner about a possible trade. Any comments?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4458642496.html

Thanks!
~BK

I can't comment on the 10 but I did have the Compact 5 for many years, my son has it now, the quality and the accuracy was great, I'd still have mine if my son hadn't wanted it :))
I see this one was made in Austria, mine was to, I was told by the machine tool supplier that I originally purchased the lathe from that the quality is not as good now that there being manufactured in Spain, I'm really not sure about that though, it was the reason I was give when I asked why they weren't carrying them anymore.:thinking:

I had an Emco Maximat V10 and although a good lathe, was not really designed for heavy work. The features it shares with the compact ten; unhardened bed, fiber gears and slender design means it is better for small, light work as does the ability to spool up to 3000 rpm top speed.

The lathe seems quite expensive considerig it does not come fully tooled. If you have little room and need a quiet running machine, they are great but for serious work I would look elsewhere.

Paul.

If it was me, I would be looking for a lathe with a gear box rather than change wheels. That feature is essential in my opinion for a hobby machinist as we don't often have a whole lot of time between family and work commitments to fiddle with change gears.

I know you want a lathe urgently but slow down a little and get one with a gear box and quick change tool post. You will be happy you were patient I promise you.

Paul.

If it was me, I would be looking for a lathe with a gear box rather than change wheels. That is essential in my opinion for a hobby machinist as we don't often have a whole lot of time between family and work commitments to fiddle with change gears.

I know you want a lathe urgently but slow down a little and get one with a gear box and quick change tool post. You will be happy you were patient I promise you.

Paul.
Thanks Paul. Yeah I want one pretty bad but I am taking my time to find a good deal. One of the reasons I joined the forum before getting the equipment. I want to pick all you vet's brains to make sure I get a good one! :D Thank you guys for the advice!

~BK

I had much rather have the Emco over the Atlas.

I had much rather have the Emco over the Atlas.

Yeah if the Emco had tooling, I would love to have it. I know it is a well made machine, but it is hard to find info or parts for this particular model. I wouldn't pay the asking price, but we discussed a trade. I guess I will pass in favor of finding a more complete package. Thanks for the input.

~BK

I looked at the Emco in person. Nice machine. Priced high. It has been on two trips to ebay and never got over the reserve. One time top bid was 425 if I remember.

I just bought a South bend 10k as lots more parts and people who can help me when I have questions. There is a nice 10k for sale in Mooresville NC right now for $800.

B3

Back