ELS Project - spindle position read-out

I'm more than happy to share my code, just don't scrutinise it too closely because my coding skills are... not great. I'll update my github when I get home and share it then.

Buddy and I are doing something similar. He for his Grizzly Gunsmith lathe and me for my LMS 8.5x20. We have added a 2nd Clough board and are controlling the x axis. Intending on automating turning, threading, and tapering. Added a 7" Nextion display for the HMI.
Very interested to hear how you get on with this. What are you doing for interface? Using another LED&KEY board, or something more sophisticated?

Very interested to hear how you get on with this. What are you doing for interface? Using another LED&KEY board, or something more sophisticated?
Using two Clough42 interface boards and a 7" Nextion touchscreen LCD display. No LED boards. It is based on Clough42's code as modified by Kent VenderVIMG_1820.jpgelden. We added the 2nd Clough42 interface for the X axis stepper. The display uses a serial port. The photo shows a version of the main screen.

I have thought about moving forward and doing X and Z, but I would never want to lose the ability to run manually. E.G. I'd like CNC but still have manual control. I'm assuming Clough's code was never meant to be converted to CNC control?

I have thought about moving forward and doing X and Z, but I would never want to lose the ability to run manually. E.G. I'd like CNC but still have manual control. I'm assuming Clough's code was never meant to be converted to CNC control?
No, Clough's code was not meant to support CNC, in fact he doesn't support X or automated operations. Manual Z just means not engaging the leadscrew. Manual X is just disabling the x stepper or servo. We are not planning on full CNC but with motors on both Z and X it would be easy to add a CNC controller for G Code.

Understood, but if you did add the Z/X to your platform, would you lose manual control?

Understood, but if you did add the Z/X to your platform, would you lose manual control?
No, the handwheels are still present. Manual Z just means not engaging the leadscrew. Manual X is just disabling the x stepper or servo. We made provisions for individually disabling the motors for manual operation. So either manual or automated is readily available.

I'm more than happy to share my code, just don't scrutinise it too closely because my coding skills are... not great. I'll update my github when I get home and share it then.
Regarding this, I had a hard drive die and I think it took my source code with it :'(

I'm going to have to re-write it because I had some improvements in mind... ugh.

Back