Electrolysis, and cast iron.

Nice (and rare) mill, do you have the base for it? Is the flat belt still hanging in there?
Mark S.
It stands on the floor, it weighs around 1/2 a ton(1120 lbs), it's probably 4'6" high. The flat belt is still there, but I'm looking to change it to a multi Ribbed Poly-V Belt, fit a 3 phase motor, and VFD for easy speed control/FWD&REV
Cheers

Last edited:
Jolly good show as they say in England! You blokes have such rare and interesting iron toys over there LOL
Mark S.

How did you find it? If you don't mind me asking...
MS

Just throwing this out there but I've taken a lot of surface + rust off with 50/50 white vinegar and water. Will have to put something together and try this way though, sounds promising. Good luck!

Rare old mill, complete with all parts except one crank handle, in good restorable original condition, meets hot rodders... ;-( It is a slippery slope... IMO.

I found it on ebay, £300, and only about 50 miles from where I live
It's missing the arbor, and arbor support, and the power feed shaft for the table
Cheers

How did you find it? If you don't mind me asking...
MS
~

I'll do the main body of the mill manually, wire brushes etc, everything else I want to put in the 45 gallon tank I use for electrolysis.
Cheers

You'll need a big tank! If you can't find one, build one out of wood and line it with sheet plastic. Use more or bigger anodes than you think you'll need to speed things up; just wire them in series. For large objects like that milling table, plan to leave it in the tank overnight - it will come clean.

Back