Electrical for my Clausing 8530 Mill

Now could it be possible that he is using one of the 2 legs for the 220 to make it 110 and then using the ground as as ground?

Could be using a step down transformer to get 110 from 220. Otherwise, if using one leg of the 220, then it would be one leg relative to neutral. Ground is suppose to connect to the frame. Neutral is the center tap. Both ground and neutral are at the same electrical voltage (usually called zero). In older wiring, having a single wire serve as both ground and neutral was common for 220V equipment such as ranges.

The problem with using a common ground + neutral comes in if you think about cutting that tab off of the plug, or any other interruption between that wire and the fuse box. If that happens, then the "grounded" frame of the machine is not actually grounded, but is wired through the motor, etc, to one or the other of the two 110V legs. That can be deadly, as touching the frame could mean you are the ground/neutral path.

Rabler is correct, using the ground pin on a standard plug as a current carrying neutral is risky and not code. You really should have a 4 prong plug like I mentioned before with 2 hots, one neutral, and one ground
-M

I have established that it is 220. As of now from a lot of reading i should be ok with the plug on it. I never touch wires and cut wires like a ground off of plugs. I will be checking again as i move this thing to see more on wires.

At a minimum you should add another safety ground wire from a screw somewhere on the machine to a screw on the outlet box
-M

The drives are DC, so most likely the DC speed controllers are 240VAC regardless of their output voltage. The plug is 240VAC 15A and has its own ground, their is no neutral in the equation. I would check the the green is grounded to the metal enclosure/frame and the hots go to power the controllers. Most likely the DC controllers have transformers that step down the voltage which is then rectified and goes to the speed control circuitry. The DC controllers should list their input voltage.

I can check that when i get to running my wire. It ran completely fine when i bought it just saying.

Please refer to the following manual that applies to the Speedmaster DC drives. It can be wired for 120 or 240VAC (see page 7), so you will need to verify the voltage that it is set for in the manual. The Plug is a 240VAC, and it would be electrically incorrect to hook it up otherwise. If you have two drives with separate plugs then they may be different voltages. The main motor is 180VDC the drive motor is 130VDC, based on the manual those voltages can only be achieved with the 240VAC input.

Attachments

• SPEEDMASTER Variable Speed D.C. Control INSTRUCTION MANUAL 90 180V SCR Control 17490200 17490...pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 1
Many dc drives like KB and Dart run directly off the line-no transformers involved. That's why good wiring and grounding practices are crucial
to prevent shock hazard
We don't know what drive is being used here for the feed motor but judging from the size it's likely non-isolated
-M

Back