Electrical for my Clausing 8530 Mill

Brento

Registered
Registered
I will be talking to a electrician as i get closer to running my wire but i have a question for you all. I was told it was a 110 outlet just a higher amperage when i bought it. It has been 3 years though. This is the tag from the mill motor.
7A543CE8-4950-4E0E-94FC-EADB9A35C579.jpeg
Next is the power feed motor.
EC71E4FE-D6B4-4345-A179-12C25A46C9D0.jpeg
And this is the plug.
4C4E5357-D8FC-426F-93D9-75641838500A.jpeg
The plug says 15A 250v but it is a basic swapped out plug not original from what i see. My question is it really 110 or is it 220? I still believe it is 110. It does have a VFD for the motor as well.

You have a DC 180 volt motor there, has the mill been retrofitted with a speed control? You'll need 220 volts for that, and a separate 110 volt circuit for the feed motor/controller
-Mark

Last edited:
Yes it has a VFD. To the left of the column.

Attachments

• 0278709A-E5F8-469A-AB8D-54EC64EF843E.jpeg
    0278709A-E5F8-469A-AB8D-54EC64EF843E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
OK, I see what you have, yes you need a 240 volt line for the Leeson DC controller- is the feed motor control home built? Is there a label on it?
Does it have a separate cord with a 120 volt plug?
-Mark
The plug you show in post #1 is a 240 volt, 15 amp style, is that the feed motor cord or the Leeson cord?

Last edited:
Both the mill motor and the feed motor are wired into a box behind the column of the mill and then come out to the single plug pictured above. I can get a picture of the controller used for the power feed but it was home done.

More

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
OK the feed motor could be running on 240 volts also, but as you can see it's a 130 volt motor. Not clear what the situation is. I would open things up and inspect before plugging it in. See what's in the home-brew control box; trace the power cables back to where they join
The ground pin of the plug might be used as a neutral for the feed controller which is a no-no. Not really unsafe but it's not code. If there is a 120 volt controller for the feed the plug really should have 4 prongs, or there should be a separate safety ground wire added from the machine to house ground. Did you get any info from the PO about the power hookup?
-Mark

Last edited:
He was a very smart man so i have no doubt it is wired wrong or anything just not sure what it is wired as. I cant ask him as he has passed away in the winter.

Sorry to hear- so my advice still would be to check the junction of the power cords, trace the power to the feed control and also look inside the feed control box, see if he used a commercial unit we would recognize
Need to see if the ground pin on the plug is being used as neutral to provide 120 volts to the feed control- because that really should be a 4-prong plug
(two hots, one neutral and one ground)
-M

Back