• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Electrical Cad Software Open Source Or Free

Keith Foor

OK, I realize that this is a machinist forum. However, I am needing for doing presentation and assistance on here specifically with Rotary Phase Converters an industrial electricity CAD software. Honestly if doesn't need a lot. If it has contactors, 3 phase motors, capacitors switches and basic square modules for dropping in as timers that would be all I really need. Any ideas would be great. I actually contacted AutoDesk about it to see if I qualified for the educational software because I was more or less instructing (sharing information) and it wasn't for profit. They said no. So I am on the hunt. If anyone knows of anything, or an add on for a free full featured software like sketchup that would be fine as well.

Thanks

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I use freeware called Eagle from https://cadsoft.io/ for my electrical/electronic schematics. While it is intended primarily for printed circuit board layout, it can be used to create general purpose electrical schematics.

It will not be useful out of the box for industrial electrical/electronics work but, as I remember, there is a capability of creating custom components. It has some advanced features for editing connections which should prove useful.

Keith Foor

TinyCAD is what I was after. I am working on drawings now and believe it will go a long way in assisting others when there are discussions of RPC's

Thanks

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Do any of these cad programs have a symbol directory set up with all of the common components needed to do electrical diagrams? Are any of them in dwg format to make it easy to use in AutoCAD or Draftsight? Anyone willin to share them with me? Ken

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Eagle pcb layout software that I mentioned in post #3 above, formerly from Cadsoft, was apparently acquired by Autodesk and is part of their suite of software. There is still a free version. One of the interesting developments is the ability to export a circuit board to Fusion for subsequent fabrication by milling. Should you choose not to use Fusion, the native Eagle file format can be converted to a Step file or other formats for importation into your choice of CAD and/or CAM software.

mmprestine

If you are making PCBs then kicad or eagle. Otherwise autocad is standard for industrial drafting of electrical systems. As recommended draftsight is a free package that will support the industry as it can use the standard accepted *.dwg extension.

markba633csi

I just used gEDA in Linux, pretty nice. Very intuitive and easy saving of drawings to JPEG. Not all schematic editors will do this, or it's a PITA. Also easy to add text to your schematic (absolute PITA with GIMP 2.8, but it's not really a schematic editor) Versions for Linux and Mac OSX , I think Windows too. All basic symbols are there. Then you can use their PCB layout app to design a circuit board.
MS

Last edited:

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Downloaded them. So far they look nice and easy to drop in as blocks in a drawing file. Explode the blocks modify them and save as new blocks as needed.

I had to move them over to my "Blocks" directory for easy retrieval. Not real sure why they have you to download them to the directory they specify. Not the way I use them. Oh well!

Ken

ammomfg

Iron
Registered Member
So while it looks like this post has been floating around for a while, I thought I would chime in...

I've used a lot of PCB-design software over the last two years, I've largely settled on KICAD, it has a reasonable work-flow, and kinda the big advantage to it is that the symbols are not connected to the actual part. This is a good thing as it allows you to choose a diode in the schematic, but then it can be any of the dozen or more actual physical packages that need a board footprint. There's also a lot of how-to videos on youtube that help you get your feet wet. "Getting to blinky" is kinda the essential set of videos that helped me greatly.

wawoodman

himself, himself
I could only use something like that if it had a component that said "here is where the magic happens..."

Container Above bottom breadcrumb