Electrical Cad Software Open Source Or Free

Keith Foor

Registered
Registered
OK, I realize that this is a machinist forum. However, I am needing for doing presentation and assistance on here specifically with Rotary Phase Converters an industrial electricity CAD software. Honestly if doesn't need a lot. If it has contactors, 3 phase motors, capacitors switches and basic square modules for dropping in as timers that would be all I really need. Any ideas would be great. I actually contacted AutoDesk about it to see if I qualified for the educational software because I was more or less instructing (sharing information) and it wasn't for profit. They said no. So I am on the hunt. If anyone knows of anything, or an add on for a free full featured software like sketchup that would be fine as well.

Thanks

I use freeware called Eagle from https://cadsoft.io/ for my electrical/electronic schematics. While it is intended primarily for printed circuit board layout, it can be used to create general purpose electrical schematics.

It will not be useful out of the box for industrial electrical/electronics work but, as I remember, there is a capability of creating custom components. It has some advanced features for editing connections which should prove useful.

TinyCAD is what I was after. I am working on drawings now and believe it will go a long way in assisting others when there are discussions of RPC's

Thanks

Do any of these cad programs have a symbol directory set up with all of the common components needed to do electrical diagrams? Are any of them in dwg format to make it easy to use in AutoCAD or Draftsight? Anyone willin to share them with me? Ken

Eagle pcb layout software that I mentioned in post #3 above, formerly from Cadsoft, was apparently acquired by Autodesk and is part of their suite of software. There is still a free version. One of the interesting developments is the ability to export a circuit board to Fusion for subsequent fabrication by milling. Should you choose not to use Fusion, the native Eagle file format can be converted to a Step file or other formats for importation into your choice of CAD and/or CAM software.

Back