Edge Finder

I use the paper trick to touch off Z on round stock, or for the occasion I'm working with a tall part and long drill, and don't have the minimum 4" needed to fit my Z gauge in.

For most stuff, my Edge Technology Z touch of gauge works fantastic. There are cheaper versions out there though.

It's super easy to use. Calibrate it on the mill table with 1-2-3 blocks, set it on the part, and run the table up untill the end mill starts depressing the plunger. When the needle points to zero, your 4.000" above the part.

That is a pretty awesome tool! I'll have to add it to my wishlist. Though, it looks like it is made from a dial indicator, so I wonder if it is something I could just make... hmm....

Cigarette paper is the old standby for locating an edge or face. I use the paper method when precise location of an edge or face isn't important.
I also have a bullseye laser center finder, a spindle mounted microscope, and a simple pointed probe which I use at various times. My go-to though is the edge finder 99% of the time.

How nice it must be to have the ability and training to "draw something up in CAD".
Way over my head. I work off my doodling.
That explains a few things.

In all honesty, drawing up some of the more basic stuff can easily be done with a free program like TinkerCAD and few YouTube videos.

I have a friend who's a complete computer no-go, but when he bought his first 3d printer, he was able to sketch a solid model of his broken lawn mower intake manifold within 2 hours on TinkerCAD by watching YouTube videos. The manifold only lasts a couple months, so he 3d prints a half dozen at a time.

That is a pretty awesome tool! I'll have to add it to my wishlist. Though, it looks like it is made from a dial indicator, so I wonder if it is something I could just make... hmm....

The budget friendly version is digital, can be switched between inch/mm with a button push, and is 45$ on ebay.

Cigarette paper is the old standby for locating an edge or face. I use the paper method when precise location of an edge or face isn't important.
I also have a bullseye laser center finder, a spindle mounted microscope, and a simple pointed probe which I use at various times. My go-to though is the edge finder 99% of the time.

The cigarette paper technique has been around forever. in New Mexico I knew an old machinist in his 80s, with thousands of dollars in edge finders and gauges laying around, he still used the papers most of the time.

He swore that the accuracy was close enough to not make a difference, and required no setup time.

I made myself a new edge finder yesterday. I had a hankering for one of the CNC style edge finders, with the larger diameter interface between the two halves. It came out good. Tested it and it repeats at least as accurately as my store-bought edge finders, perhaps a little better.

Check Don Bailerys video, from Suburban Tools .he explains the types good and bad ones and how they work

Back