EBAY steal on a craftsman 12x36 lathe on the base.

Re: EBAY steel on a craftsman 12x36 lathe on the base.

Also, and I could be totally wrong here but didn't that model atlas have some type of clutch or something so you couldn't crash it?

the clutch was between the gearbox and the lead screw, this problem was in the gearbox so there wasn't anything between it and the spindle besides the quadrant breaking and letting go of the gear train. I really had to dig that BB out of the gear it was totally inbedded in it. When the PO originally had the problem he must of had it at the lowest speed on the drive with the back gears in or it probably would have just stalled the motor, the quadrant was borken in 4 places and when I pulled it out it just fell apart.

I'll ask again has anyone made one from flat stock or poured it out of aluminum or ZA27.

Art B.

Nice find!
You mentioned you had some 109's. Love the 109 I have. They get such a bad wrap, and even though they have no dials and a weak spindle and work sticks out too far, when you get one tuned up and work within it's limits it really purrs like a kitten.

Nice find!
You mentioned you had some 109's. Love the 109 I have. They get such a bad wrap, and even though they have no dials and a weak spindle and work sticks out too far, when you get one tuned up and work within it's limits it really purrs like a kitten.

on my 109 I was always going to make a steadyrest but never got around doing it, I do have the design for it but never poured it. I did make a 1/2-20 tail stock that got rid of the MT-0 for the chuck and the live center, that made a big difference in the rigidity turning steel. I used a treadmill motor on mine and was very pleased that i could slow it way down for threading etc.

I am planning on selling both my 109s but I need to make a set of gears for the 18" version. the motor that I was using went on the 12x36, it was a large 3HP treadmill motor which is just about right for the larger lathe. I have one of the smaller treadmill motors that I will put on the 109 when i sell it I need to make a pulley for it.

IMG_20140626_101918.jpg

IMG_20140626_101918.jpg

And buy one #116 dual insert holder. It is by far my most frequently used holder.

Robert D

Robert, I'm not familiar with a 116 tool holder, can you show a picture or a link?
Thanks,
TT

TT

First one that I turned up is:

http://www.basstool.com/basscat.html#1442

Be patient. It takes a while to load. After that, you can turn the pages with the mouse (click and drag right or left). Bass probably also carries a Chinese made cheaper version but I didn't spend any time looking for it.

This is an Aloris and you probably wouldn't want to know what it costs. But the Aloris #16 for AXA looks almost exactly like my Yuasa 740-116 and is interchangeable.

Robert D.

Well i got the AXA installed and it works well my next project is to make an ER40 collet adapter for the spindle. the bore in the spindle looks to be a little smaller then 1" and the er40 goes to one inch. I looked through the threads and haven't found any that talked about doing this for quick accurate set up of shafting through the spindle. I probably won't buy a full set of collets although they would only be about 150.00 for 1/8th to 1"" by 32nds. What are the thoughts on using the ER40 for this purpose , and will I need to also put a centering collar on the backside of the spindle for longer pieces of shafting. I have a set of 3 nuts coming.

Art B

Back