EBAY steal on a craftsman 12x36 lathe on the base.

master53yoda

Active User
Registered
:winner: This has been my week for getting lathes etc, I just got the bid on a 12x36 atlas with gearbox etc for 348.00. I'm going to pick it up next week. I got a manual for it from the "vintagemachinery.org" site
It looks like it is well oiled so maybe it is in decent shape we'll see when i get it home.

Last week i bought an MK2 6" and I relisted it on ebay today, Once I get this up and running I'll sell my 109s. and get some tooling etc for it.

$_57.JPG

Re: EBAY steel on a craftsman 12x36 lathe on the base.

Yoda,

Good find. Looks like a Craftsman 101.28970. There's also a manual on it and the equivalent Atlas 3991 in Downloads.

Robert D.

I got the lathe home and got into it. Somewhere it has had a crash. The Compound has damage on the corners, the change gear quadrant is broken, and the 40tooth gear has a missing tooth all else appears to be in very good condition at this point. it has set in a storage shed for about 25 years.

Well, that kind of damage suggests that you lathe has some "experience" :roflmao:

But all in all, that doesn't sound too bad.

i HAVE THE 3 hP Treadmil motor up and running and have done some tapping and die work,
The controller is the same controller that is on the mill, i just switch between the lathe and mill with both the tack / FPM and the motor control.

Well i got it cleaned UP and running, below are the items that still need some work

QCGB gear quadrant was broken in 4 places, i have brazed it for now but I'm not seeing anything come up on ebay, has anyone milled one from flat stock or cast one out of aluminum or ZA27. My casting furnaces aren't up to doing that large a cast iron pour.

the problem when i finally found when i tour down the QCGB was a bb stuck in the bottom of the 13 thread per inch gear it worked ok on everything else but locked up the gear box and the quadrant was the weakest link, it also broke a tooth out of the 40 tooth quadrant gear' The lead screw tail bearing as been jerry rigged so i will pour a replacement for it. I'm also considering a quick change tool post, for a none production lathe is the axa large enough or do i need to go to the bxa. I was looking at about 125.00 from the foreign suppliers of ebay, if i go that route am I going to cuss at myself. I have a four sided turret tool post for it now that i could make the other items for , it doesn't have adjustable height settings so I would need to shim it in for the cutters.
$_12.JPG

AXa SET FOR 100.00 + shipping

!B90+zv!!2k~$(KGrHqV,!jMEzKSvPTEJBM67qFz+h!~~0_12.JPG

!B90+zv!!2k~$(KGrHqV,!jMEzKSvPTEJBM67qFz+h!~~0_12.JPG $_12.JPG

I'm also considering a quick change tool post, for a none production lathe is the axa large enough or do i need to go to the bxa.

I have the BXA on a 12x36 and I wouldn't want anything smaller.

John

I have that same exact AXA post on my 12x36, and it's just fine. No idea whether BXA would be better, but I haven't had any issues. I suspect you could either way and be happy.

How about some new pics showing it all cleaned up?

-Ryan

Whether AXA or BXA, spend a few dollars more and get the wedge type post. I am way happier with the wedge.

Hmm, that 4 sided tool post looks familiar.....lol.

I believe the 9-12 in swing uses the AXA but as someone stated the BXA will also work I guess. Either way you should definitely get the wedge type. The price difference would be so small not to do it.

Also, and I could be totally wrong here but didn't that model atlas have some type of clutch or something so you couldn't crash it?

Over time, people have reported their experience with both the AXA (100 Series) and BXA (200 series) QCTP on the 10" and 12" Atlas or Craftsman lathes. As far as I can recall, the only AXA owner reports saying that they wished they had bought BXA seem to have been from people who had or had acquired cutters on the next size larger bar (usually 5/8" tall). There is now a vendor selling AXA holders in 101 and 102 style that will take a 5/8" tall cutter blank. Price is only slightly more than for the standard 101 and 102 (~$15 each versus $12 if I recall correctly). I bought one of each JIC, and quality is good. So that is no longer an issue.

Reports from those who bought BXA seem to be split about evenly between those who are apparently truly happy with the BXA, those who aren't but aren't willing to admit it, and those who say they wish that they had bought AXA. :thinking: So buy the AXA.

On the piston versus wedge issue, I have had a Yuasa piston type for more than 30 years and never had any reason to regret it. In all honesty, I have to admit that at the time, the price differential exceeded 200%. And that I haven't ever used one of the Chinese piston types. At roughly 20% price differential, I might go for the wedge type today, assuming equivalent quality. The one thing I would recommend is avoiding the aluminum body tool post. Oh, one other thing. Buy several extra 101 style holders (at last count, I had 7). All of the sets come with only one, plus one 102 which you can also use as though it were a 101. With only two, as soon as you run a job that uses three cutters, the only advantage you have over the 4-way turret is that you don't have to use shims to center up the cutters. And buy one #116 dual insert holder. It is by far my most frequently used holder.

Robert D

Back