EBay Issues

The biggest recent change to eBay is direct payments to sellers. Outside of that (which is not a problem for me at all) I have had zero issues with my account. In fact, I have to say, I have never had any problems with eBay's service and I've been a member for over 20 years now.

@Buffalo21 - I would bet $5 that your issue is your browser/cookies/security settings. Password resets and the need to continue to login usually points to those issues. If eBay could have fixed your issue so that you could give them your money - they would have fixed it for you after one or two tries, not 50 or 60. The issue must be on your end.

unfortunately it’s happens with 3 different iPads, 2 windows based lap tops, 4 phones and a Android based tablet. Using 3 different different browsers, I followed everything their IT guys said to do. Nothing seems to permanently fix the issue.

They sure made selling a real PITA.
I am no longer allowed to list Items and have been selling there for at least 10 years or better with a perfect 100% feedback!
I for one, am not about to give them my Social security info and access to my checking account!!
I'm surprised to hear this from people given how secure payments actually are on a daily basis. I'm not singling you out but I often hear this and it just surprises me. I mean, BILLIONS of transactions are made everyday and the vast - vast - vast majority of them are done with zero issues.

I think the only payments I make via check nowadays are - charitable donations, school fundraisers, that sort of things where electronic payments are not available. ALL of my bills, ALL of my credit, my mortgage, my car payment, everything is electronic. I have had one issue in the past 10 years that I can think of on the Discover card. Some security breach somewhere. One phone call resolved the issue. No hit to the credit report, no hit to the bank account. Nothing.

On the other hand, I have heard what seems to be countless stories from relatives, neighbors and friends of said people where they got scammed, nearly scammed or unwillingly - BUT FREELY - gave away otherwise secure information because they didn't know the person they were dealing with was an unsavory character.

I trust eBay and PayPal because it is NOT in their best interest to randomly siphon funds out of my checking account. In fact, THEY can't do that without authorized access. And the system doesn't work because someone on their end just goes in, enters an amount and clicks, "siphon". If they did, you better believe you would hear about it and they wouldn't be in business.

That's the whole issue here, PayPal
They must want to ditch that as well.
I had no issues with P/P over the years and they already have my checking acct info.
I'm sure they will still accept payment from them....or will they??
Why the hell do they need my SS# anyway??
Not to mention that they dumped Turbo lister and all my inventory I have built up over the years after they claimed they would switch it over to whatever replaced the T/L.

An issue with eBay that I have had a few times is when buying something from China.

If they send the wrong item, size, etc., PayPay wants me to ship it back to China in order to get a refund. In these cases, the cost to ship it USPS to China exceeded the amount of the purchase price. In all of these cases, I lost my entire purchase price for a random item or wrong size.

An issue with eBay that I have had a few times is when buying something from China.

If they send the wrong item, size, etc., PayPay wants me to ship it back to China in order to get a refund. In these cases, the cost to ship it USPS to China exceeded the amount of the purchase price. In all of these cases, I lost my entire purchase price for a random item or wrong size.
I've had the same problem with PayPal and a seller sending what was clearly the wrong item. The folks in China figured out this "scam" so buyers of items directly from China beware. I focus my searches on "US Only" sellers though Hong Kong seller "zimi-hk" has been very good to deal with.

Bruce

eBay is a platform for selling. They don't sell anything themselves, so if there is an issue, it actually is not an eBay issue, but a seller issue.

They recently switched over to managed payments, which I am happy about but in order to continue selling, I will need to switch over. As far as giving them my SSN, every institution that I have money at has my bank account. As far as allowing eBay access to my bank account, I have another account set up just for eBay. I have my credit locked so not too worried. Sending a check through the mail has far more risk than conducting an online transaction.

The log in issues are most likely on the users end. I just bought a new S10e phone, a case, screen protector and a couple of other items with no issues. I just sold 3 Cat50 collets too with no issue.

They sure made selling a real PITA.
I for one, am not about to give them my Social security info and access to my checking account!!
Same here. I wont be selling anything on their site anymore. Just stay a buyer.

I sell quite a bit on eBay and haven't been asked to switch over yet. I did have a problem with PayPal years ago when they were linked to eBay and required sellers to have a verified account. That meant tying your PP account to a bank account, not just a credit card. We somehow got hacked and someone in China did a $800 transfer from PayPal which tapped into our checking account.

I changed all of my passwords and while perusing my Gmail account happened to look at deleted emails. There was one there saying I'd sent a PP payment to someone in China. Also in the trash folder was a deleted alert email from Gmail saying that someone with an ISP in China was currently accessing my email account. Fortunately, the hacker just deleted the emails from the inbox and didn't go into the trash folder and permanently delete them, I had a record.

I filed a claim with PayPal and included the email of the transfer and the alert from Gmail about my address being accessed from China. PayPal essentially said "S*cks to be you". I went to our AWESOME credit union (Astera Credit Union in Lansing, MI) and asked if I could block transfers from our checking account to PayPal. Deposits from my PP account are okay, withdrawals, NO. Yup, easy peasy, just fill our this paperwork. Then I mentioned the hack job and how PP had ruled. "Oh, no problem, just sign this affidavit that you did not authorize the bank transfer and we'll take the money back from PayPal". Our awesome CU pulled the money back on the spot and blocked any transfers from our checking account to PP.

Then I started getting calls from PP about owing them $800. I won't elaborate on the conversation, but it involved a reference to a 20 foot flag pole and a proctologist's inspection point. "Feels great being on the opposite side of a hacking, doesn't it". PayPal got their money back by debiting the account of the original "payee" from my account. While this was going on I did not do any selling on eBay involving PayPal as PayPal accounts ARE NOT protected from them withdrawing fees. I suspect if I sold something for $800, they would have taken the money out of my account.

After all this got settled, I opened two accounts at a different local bank: one checking, one savings. I went to a separate bank as a secondary precaution so nothing lead back to our major accounts. I linked the PP account to the new checking account and maintained the minimum balance of $5. I opted out of over-draft protection so the checking account was not linked to the savings account. I did the same "deposits only from PayPal, no withdrawals". That way if I got hacked again, the thief could only get $5. When I'd sell on eBay, once the payment hit my checking account all but $5 was immediately transferred to the savings account. I'd pay the monthly PP seller fees off a credit card. It was a PITA for a while until eBay got rid of the requirement for sellers to have verified accounts.

There is MUCH better protection from Credit Card companies than PayPal in my experience. If you have the choice of paying via PayPal or Credit Card, use the plastic.

Bruce

I have heard that Ebay is discontinuing their relationship with PayPal and will be pushing another payment service soon.

And I'm done buying direct import tooling from China on Ebay. I have received defective items more often than not. Obtaining a refund is hit or miss. I now buy only from US importers, I don't care if it costs more.

I could no long in good conscience, keep you all waiting any longer, the new hammer, arrived on Sunday. Bought through Amazon.

Last edited:
Back