EBay Issues

Similar issue with PayPal recently where I ordered some switches on-line (not eBay) and was told next day that the delivery time would be 8 weeks which didn't work for me and canceled the order the next day. Almost a month later the money was still being held in limbo because the funds were not released when the order was cancelled, the company uses an external billing agency and said there was nothing they could do about it. PayPal was no help either and said I need to wait 30 days for the hold to be released. So they get to hold onto your money for a month. When I had issues in the past and used a credit card, I have not had these issues.

BUT, it all comes down to your bank with and the credit card company. I use American Express because I always get a person quickly that speaks English and that can actually do something, Had a Costco CITI bank Visa, it was the absolute worst and incompetent. I plan to use PayPal less in the future, as mentioned eBay is phasing them out and will no longer use them at some point. Ironically PayPal use to be part of eBay and then separated in 2015 with a 5 year operating agreement, it now generates more revenue then eBay.

I trust eBay and PayPal because it is NOT in their best interest to randomly siphon funds out of my checking account. In fact, THEY can't do that without authorized access. And the system doesn't work because someone on their end just goes in, enters an amount and clicks, "siphon". If they did, you better believe you would hear about it and they wouldn't be in business.
The big thing I like about Paypal, is I have to tell PayPal to send the money. With our banking system, any body with my account info can take my money. How the heck does a modern banking system allow anybody to just take money? Yes, the Paypal is still not the best, but they still are better then a bank. Someone I gave a check to since I opened the account, may still have a copy, and then also has all they need to get my money.

We somehow got hacked and someone in China did a $800 transfer from PayPal which tapped into our checking account.

I changed all of my passwords and while perusing my Gmail account happened to look at deleted emails. There was one there saying I'd sent a PP payment to someone in China. Also in the trash folder was a deleted alert email from Gmail saying that someone with an ISP in China was currently accessing my email account. Fortunately, the hacker just deleted the emails from the inbox and didn't go into the trash folder and permanently delete them, I had a record.

I filed a claim with PayPal and included the email of the transfer and the alert from Gmail about my address being accessed from China. PayPal essentially said "S*cks to be you". I went to our AWESOME credit union (Astera Credit Union in Lansing, MI) and asked if I could block transfers from our checking account to PayPal. Deposits from my PP account are okay, withdrawals, NO. Yup, easy peasy, just fill our this paperwork. Then I mentioned the hack job and how PP had ruled. "Oh, no problem, just sign this affidavit that you did not authorize the bank transfer and we'll take the money back from PayPal". Our awesome CU pulled the money back on the spot and blocked any transfers from our checking account to PP.

Bruce
Unless you can show that PayPal was hacked, Why do you blame PayPal? Think the same person that hacked your Gmail, was the same one taht hacked your Paypal account?

I had no choice but to switch to managed payments. My credit card on file with ebay has incorrect numbers on purpose.

I opened a new checking account for ebay only. I transfer all but $25 out to paypal of it on a daily basis.

If they try go pull money out of my account they won't get much.

Another problem I just had was with their global shipping program. I had a part come in from Australia. I modified it and shipped it to ebay's forwading facility in Kentucky to be forwarded to Australia. I sent it n 12-31-20. A few days later I receive a notice it has arrived in
Kentucky, and I got a notice from USPS that it had been delivered. Great.

So a week ago I get a message from my customer telling me he hasn't got the part. My customer has been great, but over 40 days and no part he's understandably not happy. So since I got the notice ebay received it and there is nothing i can do I told him to file a claim. Ebay promptly told me that he filed a claim and they wanted me to refund his full purchase of $386.

So after a heated phone call where I pointed out they lost not me and I have proof of that, they refunded him the full amount and didn't charge me.

Ok thats good. Unfortunately the customer sent me his part to modify and now he's out the part. He told ebay that and they said they were going to try and send a request to the address they shipped it to in "Canada".

So, why the hell did it go to Canada???

An issue with eBay that I have had a few times is when buying something from China.

If they send the wrong item, size, etc., PayPay wants me to ship it back to China in order to get a refund. In these cases, the cost to ship it USPS to China exceeded the amount of the purchase price. In all of these cases, I lost my entire purchase price for a random item or wrong size.

I've had the same problem with PayPal and a seller sending what was clearly the wrong item. The folks in China figured out this "scam" so buyers of items directly from China beware. I focus my searches on "US Only" sellers though Hong Kong seller "zimi-hk" has been very good to deal with.

Bruce

I don't understand why you deal with PayPal in these types of circumstances. I've had a small number of problems with eBay purchases (also paid via PayPal), from China. Each time, I've gotten (eventually) a full refund by handling the issue through the eBay resolution system. I've not dealt with PayPal at all, in these type of situations. I don't remember returning anything to China and I know I have not paid for a return. They don't want the crap back and they sure a he!! don't want to pay for the return.

If the package arrives with damaged, unsatisfactory or missing items, I just take pictures and contact the seller using the eBay Resolution Center.
The sellers have invariably dragged out the process, asking for more information and making low ball offers, for as long as the rules allow (which annoys me). I reply as politely as I can and continue to demand the refund. When the resolution period expires, if necessary, I request eBay to intervene, restating the salient facts (and photos). I have received a 100% refund each time.

My opinion: the eBay people who make the "refund vs no refund" decision may not be geniuses or even hobby machinists. Make your case simple (clear) for them. Technical details and complexities will be received as "BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!" and my hurt your case.

I really have not much problem with the checking account/credit card part.
I just see no reason why they need my SSN

They know what's going on!
I file my taxes every year and include the e-bay sales.

I don't understand why you deal with PayPal in these types of circumstances. I've had a small number of problems with eBay purchases (also paid via PayPal), from China. Each time, I've gotten (eventually) a full refund by handling the issue through the eBay resolution system. I've not dealt with PayPal at all, in these type of situations. I don't remember returning anything to China and I know I have not paid for a return. They don't want the crap back and they sure a he!! don't want to pay for the return.
In my case the purchase wasn't through eBay. It was directly through the vendor's site at https://temptlife.com/. I just tried hitting their site and got a "can't reach the site, either temporarily down or moved to a new address". My bad, I had a click-bait ad pop up for cashmere yoga pants and went to the site. If I'd have gone to Google and typed "Temptlife complaints" I'd have been forewarned. Their "ploy" was to only accept PayPal., not a Credit Card who do a better job of customer protection. They would accept product returns, but the product needed to be shipped back to an address in China. That cost over $30 for a $60 purchase. Others had sent the product back for at least half of their money back, but TemptLife responded to the PayPal refund case that the product was damaged so PayPal ruled in their favor.

Bruce

Back