Easiest way to enlarge 1-5/8" hole to 2" through 4" deep cylinder welded to 100lb plate.

How big is the plate? Would it be possible to fit it under a radial drill? If you had a large enough lathe could you grip the cylinder in the chuck and turn the whole object?

Nope, not likely. 4ft x 3ft I don't have anything with that large of throat.
I'm thinking of scrapping the project and work on something less likely to end in frustration.

A dirty trick...

If you have a hole saw that fits the hole you can use it as pilot.

Normal arbors will not allow 2 cutters to stack but you may be able to pack the smaller one inside the bigger one.

The small hole saw guides the bigger one.

You will need a real drill motor with lots of power at slow speed.

If you can borrow a mag drill then us it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Any reason why whatever is going into this bore can't be what gets reduced in size?

A dirty trick...

If you have a hole saw that fits the hole you can use it as pilot.

Normal arbors will not allow 2 cutters to stack but you may be able to pack the smaller one inside the bigger one.

The small hole saw guides the bigger one.

You will need a real drill motor with lots of power at slow speed.

If you can borrow a mag drill then us it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
As said before there still is the problem of a 2" long hole saw not being long enough to complete the hole, unless the hole can be completed from the other side. I would consider splicing 2 hole saw's together by Tigging them by removing the teeth from one and the arbor mount from the other to join them making a long enough single hole saw. Should work.

Last edited:
Back