Easiest way to enlarge 1-5/8" hole to 2" through 4" deep cylinder welded to 100lb plate.

Sparkynutz

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to enlarge a 4 inch deep hole from 1-5/8" to 2" in a steel cylinder. Its welded to 100lb plate and unable to get into a mill or lathe. I'm thinking mag drill would be easiest but don't have one or incremental bits that would fit a standard 5/8" chuck.
Same thing with regular hand drill.
Any ideas for someone on a budget?
building or buying a portable mill isn't really feasible.
Thanks.

Ps. What if I only enlarged to 1-3/4" instead of 2"

Cut the weld and bore out in the lathe then weld back together. Is the the a through hole or blind to the 100* plate?

Cutting or grinding off then welding back on is not an option. Its structural and case hardened.
Its a through hole.

Check around with your local tool rental places, you can probably rent a mag drill.

I believe the best shot is like you said, a mag drill. Using a 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" quality hole saw you should come out with close to a 2" hole. Run at a slow low R.P.M. and without any lube (run it dry) If you use any cutting oil it will gall the hole saw in make it unable to cut, you'll go right through it. You should be able to rent one. Control the speed with a motor speed control. I use this method A305C0F4-ADEC-4D35-8E59-FE81A7B5B990.jpegon my mag drill and go through 1" steel plate with no problem.

Last edited:
You have to go 4" deep?? Then a hole saw won't work. Start shopping eBay for a 2" drill bit. Don't worry if its Morse taper. real easy to turn a new shank on it.

Hi, I guess I misread the post. I Thought the hole was in a 4" deep pocket. Some of these older mag drills including the one I have used MT2 spindles. Thank's

I've got a 2 -7/32" bit with MT5 taper shank if you could use it. I'll sell it pretty cheap. It's in very good condition.
Aaron

Back