E-Clip Grooving Tool

O-1 is not a particularly good choice for a cutting tool, and I'm wondering if the heat colors shown on the shank are indicative of possible lower than ideal hardness in the cutting tool; I think you would be better off grinding a HSS tool bit for the job.

The clip is 0.042". Do you know of a wider cutoff insert? That would be ideal. I have only an HSS cut off.

I was referring to a commercial parting tool blade. A P-1 blade is 1/16" wide and would create a slightly wider groove but will work. If you are okay with grinding a tool from a square HSS tool bit as John suggests, just grind it with a flat top and about 5 degrees of relief on both sides. Give it about 7 degrees of front relief and hone it well. The tool will cut your groove easily and last for a very long time.

I've been using one of these for external parting and grooving. One holder and you can order cutting, parting and even threading inserts in just about any size you want. It's a fairly expensive system and the inserts aren't cheap but I get good life out of them if I use coolant. Parting and grooving at 1200 RPM on 1" stainless on a manual machine no problems at all. The only word of caution (which probably applies to any narrow grooving tool) is be cautious of parting under power. I found it easy to snap an edge off. I think the problem is that when parting under power you don't really notice the tool dulling until it's too late. Because of the shape of the insert if one edge snaps it can potentially make another edge useless.

I was referring to a commercial parting tool blade. A P-1 blade is 1/16" wide and would create a slightly wider groove but will work. If you are okay with grinding a tool from a square HSS tool bit as John suggests, just grind it with a flat top and about 5 degrees of relief on both sides. Give it about 7 degrees of front relief and hone it well. The tool will cut your groove easily and last for a very long time.

I ground a piece of HSS as you and John recommended and am pleased with the results!

P1000245.JPG

P1000248.JPG

I've been using one of these for external parting and grooving. One holder and you can order cutting, parting and even threading inserts in just about any size you want. It's a fairly expensive system and the inserts aren't cheap but I get good life out of them if I use coolant. Parting and grooving at 1200 RPM on 1" stainless on a manual machine no problems at all. The only word of caution (which probably applies to any narrow grooving tool) is be cautious of parting under power. I found it easy to snap an edge off. I think the problem is that when parting under power you don't really notice the tool dulling until it's too late. Because of the shape of the insert if one edge snaps it can potentially make another edge useless.

Looks like the ideal tool and will keep them in mind. I hope they ship to the US.

Back