Dumb things you own, and never use

I don’t use my *metric* metrology equipment very much.

Also, a good percentage of the Chinese metrology equipment that I bought is so junky (the Shars inside & digital electric outside micrometers are a good example) that I won’t ever use it.

Next size up, I think. Yours looks better made! And you put some pretty lipstick on yours. :grin:
Mine is pretty much a pig, with or without lipstick.
When I got it, this has to be more than 10-15 years ago... I did not know about gibs, backslash, etc... nor how to get rid of the play... I was as green as they come... Kid you not... it wasn't until this January that I ran into it when moving stuff around in the garage...

Adjusted everything, changed a few bolts... do not get me wrong, it is still carp, but it is working carp... I have been using it regularly now... I would not try to make a slot with it, but for just drilling stuff, sure, works fine.

I sold my surface plate on the weekend. Three years of ownership and not once did I use it.
Besides leveling my level, (yeah, really calibrating the level) I really haven't used my little surface plate. Glad I only got a small one. Got it on a day when there was free freight, so not out much money at all.

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I had two basically useless router shapers that were basically given to me. One was a HF model 91130 shaper that they don't sell anymore (which is good). The cutting part of the shaper was in a cup like thing, that was impossible to keep clear of wood chips and almost impossible to change bits. That's why the motor was fried. However, the base and the table were decent. The other was a Black & Decker SR650 shaper that was built on a flimsy plastic base. The table was not hot either. It did have a nice height adjustment and it was easy to change bits. Took the motor out of the HF and with a bit of machining mounted the BK motor with its height adjustment. Now have a pretty good wood shaper that actually works.

Too much to list . Being a machinist / tool maker for 28 years and then moving over to mechanical left me with many precision tools never to see the light of day again .

Back