Dumb things you own, and never use

I don't think this exactly fits the thread, but I will post it anyway. I bought a Rockwell Jawhorse. I thought it would be useful from time to time.

It turned out to be one of those tools you're really glad you have, about twice a year.

The big problem with it is that it turned out to be an incredible reloading bench, so my press is always sitting on it. I did something other reloaders should try. I screwed and glued two old pieces of 2x6 together, one on top of the other. One is about two feet long, and the other is about 10" long. I clamped the 10" piece in the vise. This leaves the long piece hanging out in front of the Jawhorse. I drilled it and attached the press to it.

It is 100% rock steady, and if I ever decide to put the press away, I can just pop the press off the wood and remove the wood from the vise. The wood stores in an area about as big as two loaves of bread. If you put lag shields in the wood, you can use lag screws and forget about nuts and washers.

You can also take an old tray and screw it to the upper piece, giving you a big flat area where you can put things like bullets and casings while you run the press. I haven't gotten around to that. An aluminum half-sheet baking pan would be perfect.

It's hard to believe I came up with an idea this great. But I miss the Jawhorse, which really is useful sometimes.

Attachments

• 04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse small.jpg
    04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse small.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 24
I'll work a tool into the budget especially if I can make a buck with it. But pay good money for a sorry piece of foo-foo that does a job poorly or not at all? No.
So I present to you the OTC Piston Pin Puller. It has plastic pieces to snatch a stubborn pin out of an unforgiving piston. The plastic is cheap; splits and deforms. Wound up making one (that works great) out of a length of all-thread, several nuts, flat washers and an E lCheapo deep well socket. that works just dandy. Which I should have done originally.
The OTC was finally given to a neighbor who said he could make it work.
After two years he just started speaking to me again...

A plasma cutter.

Bought it to cut the engine out of a rolled escalade that was up for auction and the damn thing went for over $5k. I can buy an engine for less that and has a warranty. The cutter in still in the box.

Back