DRO or Power feed

DRO for sure. If the DRO on my mill went out tomorrow I would order a new one right away. I don't know anyone with a mill that does not have a DRO on it.

Like every one else---DRO.
I have both but---the DRO is much more useful.

Just ask yourself a simple question: What is stronger......your eyes, or your arms?

I got power feed first as I hate cranking handles. I used dial indicators before I got the Igaging scales. The PB I use at work has power feed on X, Y ,and Z did I mention I hate to turn cranks?

Last edited:
I made this brass shaft seal tonight. I drilled the bolt holes and counterbored them in the mill. This would have been a monumental PITA without the DRO. The DRO makes this go unbelievably fast and within the tolerance needed.

BTW, the brass disc is 0.250" thick and 1.375" in diameter. The Allen head cap screws attaching the seal to the casting are number 4's.

As you can imagine I did not use the mill's table power feed to do this work.

IMG_20171216_204837.jpg

I made this brass shaft seal tonight. I drilled the bolt holes and counterbored them in the mill. This would have been a monumental PITA without the DRO. The DRO makes this go unbelievably fast and within the tolerance needed.

BTW, the brass disc is 0.250" thick and 1.375" in diameter. The Allen head cap screws attaching the seal to the casting are number 4's.

As you can imagine I did not use the mill's table power feed to do this work.

View attachment 250015
That sure looks Like a MLA die filer casting, looking good!!

One more question, 2 axis or 3 axis ?

Back