DRO or Power feed

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking to make an upgrade to my, new to me, knee mill, I am looking at either a DRO or a Powerfeed. Not enough cash for both. I do not use it for anything but my hobbies, make a few engine or gun parts.

I'm just wanting some input from some of you fine craftsmen out there, so be gentle.
Which would you consider to be more important to purchase first ?

For me, the DRO is way more useful tool than the X axis power feed.

I'm a hobbyist myself and far from being a fine craftsman but the DRO is probably the best upgrade you can make on your mill.

Last edited:
As others have said already, without question go with the DRO first. A DRO is a night and day difference on a mill.

I would say both, but if one or the other DRO. For me tinkering around on various projects the DRO added a whole new world of accuracy and ease to projects

I'll join the chorus and add another vote for the DRO. They are just too handy to have nowadays, and while I can work with the dials on a mill, a DRO is so much faster/easier. And less frustrating, e.g., you need to crank the handle 5 times and the wife walks in and asks a question in the middle of the third turn... :rolleyes:

You can add a power feed later. :D

Another vote for the DRO. :)

Back