Drill sets

i don't care for drill sets. i prefer drill cabinets. easier to organize and you can stock up on sizes you use the most

I actually use both. The sets keep the drills i re use. Then I restock from Huot cabinets - have at least 5 each of all the 115 sizes in these.

Then a drill set of metric and a drill set of left hand, a drill set of silver Deming ( 1/2 inch drive 9/16 to 1 inch bv 16ths)

But most of the drills, by far, are Morse taper. Years ago i scored the entire inventory of a decent size shop's Morse drills. Got to be over 1500 drills in 1/8 to 2 1/2.

I got all these drills over 20 years ago and have not bought any for YEARS.

the above drill sets I just bought are for the second shop. I just made up a set of Morse taper 1/8 to 1 1/4 by 64s to take to the second home.

I've got a 115 pc. set I've had for years but my go to for most things is a 1/6th to 1/2 set of cobalt screw machine bits. They are a bit brittle if dropped. The Silver & Deming set is from Grizzly & has been good but I broke one by dropping it to the concrete, brittle. I have a few left hand bits for extracting broken bolts.

Over the years when I had bought sets of drills, the balance of the set (once a few were broken or lost or borrowed by others) - ended up in a cigar box. And a new set was then utilized. Also was given some other folks drill collections in a box.
To help with using what I have, I got a drill cabinet and sorted all those drill bits into the proper location in the cabinet. The cabinet is a very nice setup what with the individual bins.

If I sharpen a bit with the sharpener, I use a marker on the ground tip to check on the progress and when it is done, I then mark the sharpened end.

The cabinet is a very nice setup what with the individual bins.
Damn you're organized. When I get a dull bit it goes in a box. When I'm between projects I'll sharpen them until I get too bored. I finally bought good gages so I could put them in indexes or sorted in some way. With fractional, #'d, lettered, and metric often being only a few 1,000s different...! I've got a Silver & Deming set and assorted bits larger than 1/2". Screw machine bits, the most used. Left hand, 135°, 118°, Aircraft bits, I.E. long, but so far no MT bits. Do I really need all these? A few are regularly used for tapping or to match a reamer or to speed boring. But the rest, rarely or never. It's the same way with taps and dies. But I sort of justify it because it isn't fun to be in the middle of repairing something and not have the correct size. Just another branch in the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I have bought Harbor Freight drills that looked like they were sharpened by a blind drunk. And they cut terrible. Then I sharpened them and they worked fine .
So many times it is not the drill but how it was sharpened.
Name brands tend to pay attention to quality of the sharpening. And you pay more for that.

I would like to see the results of the test video using different drills of the same point and size and brand drill to see how they repeated in the test. Plus if one brand or point stayed sharper longer.

I do think the quality of the drills made today beat the hell-out of the drills I used 60 years ago. I think it’s the hss used today that Is much better.

Jimsehr

Over the years when I had bought sets of drills, the balance of the set (once a few were broken or lost or borrowed by others) - ended up in a cigar box. And a new set was then utilized. Also was given some other folks drill collections in a box.
To help with using what I have, I got a drill cabinet and sorted all those drill bits into the proper location in the cabinet. The cabinet is a very nice setup what with the individual bins.

If I sharpen a bit with the sharpener, I use a marker on the ground tip to check on the progress and when it is done, I then mark the sharpened end.
This is an excellent idea. I often batch sharpen bits. I throw them in a bin until I have enough to make it worth my time but I never had a way of making the ones with a fresh edge.

Back